31/05/2019

Omagh Man Jailed For Historic Sex Offences

Police have welcomed the recent sentencing of a man who was found guilty of 22 historic sex offences.

A judge at Dungannon Crown Court handed the 53-year-old from Omagh a sentence of five years imprisonment and a further two years on probation on Tuesday 28 May.

The man will also be on the sex offender's register for life and is banned from working with vulnerable people and children.

The offences date back to the 1980s and include a number of indecent assaults and gross indecency on a teenage boy and indecent assault on a woman.
News Image
Welcoming the sentencing, Detective Chief Inspector Gary McDonald encouraged anyone who has suffered at the hands of a sexual abuser, no matter how long ago the crime, to come forward.

He said: "I commend the courage of the victims in coming forward and seeking justice many years later. I would encourage anyone who has been sexually abused to come forward and report it to police, even if it was a long time ago. We have trained officers who will treat all victims with sensitivity and respect. This case shows that even if a number of years have passed, we can still investigate reports of sexual offences against children and place offenders before the courts so that justice can prevail."



(JG/CM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

27 January 2020
East Belfast Shooting Condemned
A shooting in the Short Strand area of east Belfast has been condemned as a "despicable" act. Police said a man walking in the area was shot at around 7.45pm on Saturday 25 January. His injuries are not believed to be life threatening. The incident in a busy built up area sparked outrage in the local community.
23 January 2020
Man Threatened With Firearm In Co Down
A man has been left traumatised after he was threatened with a firearm in Ballywalter, Co Down. Police said the victim was approached by two males on a red motorbike in the Bartley's Wood area at around 6.15pm on Tuesday 21 January.
22 January 2020
Man Injured In L'Derry Street Robbery
A man in his 60's suffered facial injuries in a "nasty" street robbery in L'Derry, police have said. The victim was targeted in the John Street area of the city at around 1.30am this morning, Wednesday 22. It's reported that he was approached by a suspect who demanded his wallet and phone before punching him in the face.
20 January 2020
Man Due In Court Over Craigavon Murder
A man charged with the murder of 25 year-old Nathan Gibson last week is due to appear in court. The 40 year-old will appear before Lisburn Magistrates' Court today, Monday 20 January. Mr Gibson was discovered in the Lake Road area of Craigavon late on Thursday 16 January. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
24 January 2020
Man Tested For Suspected Coronavirus In Belfast
A Belfast patient is receiving treatment for symptoms associated with coronavirus. The man is undergoing tests at the Royal Victoria Hospital amid suspicion he is infected with the potentially fatal virus. It's understood the treatment is a precautionary measure.