04/06/2019

Case Against Loughinisland Journalists Dropped

A criminal investigation into Belfast journalists Trevor Birney and Barry McCaffrey has been dropped.

The investigative reporters were arrested over confidential material they aired in a documentary film about the loyalist murders of six men in Loughinisland, County Down, in 1994.

Yesterday's High Court decision to end the probe comes after judges quashed police warrants last week that had been used to seize the material. The investigation followed allegations made in 2017 that the documents were stolen from the Police Ombudsman's office before appearing in the film 'No Stone Unturned'.

The National Union of Journalists has welcomed the confirmation that the criminal investigation by the PSNI and Durham Constabulary has ended. The two NUJ members were told of the decision on Monday night after arrangements for the return of the journalistic material illegally seized last August were confirmed in the High Court in Belfast.

Police have now gathered millions of documents, computer equipment, cameras, notebooks and phones to return to Mr Birney and Mr McCaffrey. The material is due to be collected this morning, Tuesday 04 June.

The NUJ is now calling for an independent investigation into the manner in which the journalists were treated by police.

Séamus Dooley, NUJ assistant general secretary, said: "We welcome the decision to end the investigation but this case raises a number of fundamental questions about the attitude of the PSNI and Durham Constabulary towards the media. The manner in which warrants were secured, the execution of those warrants, the severe bail restrictions imposed on Barry and Trevor and the damage done to their reputation cannot simply be brushed aside on foot of a High Court judgement which could not have been more damning. There should be an independent investigation into the police handling of this case.
News Image
"The focus of police attention should have been on the Loughinisland massacre. The documentary, No Stone Unturned, is profoundly disturbing and serves as a reminder of the significant failures over 25 years to secure justice for the families of that terrible event. The past nine months has caused additional grief and stress to those families. In welcoming the announcement our thoughts are with them at this time."

PSNI Chief Constable George Hamilton referred the case to Durham Constabulary following the allegation of theft in 2017. In a statement released after the case was dropped, he commented: "I have always accepted the autonomy of Chief Constable Barton's inquiry and I fully concur with his decision not to progress the investigation into the two journalists Mr Birney and Mr McCaffery.

"Throughout the period of this investigation, the horror of what happened in Loughinisland has never been far from any of our thoughts. The perpetrators of that crime have never been brought to justice and that is a matter of huge regret for policing.

"The police investigation into who murdered the six innocent men in the Heights Bar in 1994 remains open but progress is dependent on new information. There are people out there who know what happened. I would appeal to them to come forward and make a statement that will help us finally bring justice to the families of the victims."

Chief Constable Hamilton addressed the distress caused by the recent investigation for the victim's families, but said allegations of document theft are a serious matter that the police are obliged to pursue.

"I am aware that the investigation over the last year has caused concern for families who have already suffered so much," he continued. "That is something none of us would ever have wished to do. However, as a police service, the suspected theft or unlawful leaking of any sensitive documents containing information that may endanger life is a serious matter which we are statutorily obliged to investigate."



(JG/CM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

04 November 2019
PSNI: Firework Arson Attack Had Potential To Cause Tragedy
Police have said an arson attack using fireworks could have ended in tragedy this morning. Fire crews were called to a property in the Rossnareen Road area of west Belfast in the early hours of Monday 04 November. It's understood that fireworks had been set alight and in turn ignited a bin bag full of waste in the stairwell of the property.
06 December 2011
'Flawed' RUC Double Murder Probe Slammed
RUC detectives overlooked vital clues pointing to a controversial double murder, a new report has today suggested.
14 November 2019
Polish Chef Wins Racial Discrimination Case
A Polish chef who began working in Magherafelt, Co L'Derry three years ago has been awarded £15,000 in a racial discrimination case. Damian Anysz was subjected to racial discrimination and abusive language while working at Sizzlers Restaurant between November 2016 and July 2018, when he eventually resigned over the matter.
23 June 2016
Police Officers Disciplined For Failing To Tell Doctor About Woman's Head Injuries
Two police officers have been disciplined after they failed to let their colleagues and a police doctor know that a woman had sustained a head injury, a Police Ombudsman investigation has concluded. The woman died from bleeding to the brain on 24 February 2014, the day after she suffered the injury.
20 February 2014
Man Arrested In Bangor Shooting Investigation
A man has been arrested by detectives investigating the attempted murder of two men in Bangor. The male victims, aged 24 and 33, were shot as they sat in a car in the Eastway area of the Whitehill estate at about 00:45 on 10 February. UTV has reported that the UVF are thought to have been behind the attack.