13/08/2019

Other News In Brief

SDLP Call For End To Ongoing Disorder In L'Derry

The SDLP has called for the ongoing disorder in L'Derry "must come to an end".

The trouble entered its third night with petrol bombs, paint bombs and other missiles being thrown.

Councillor John Boyle, who represents the Moor area, urged young people to think about the consequences of their actions for the city, for their neighbours and for themselves.

He said: "People in Derry want to live their lives in peace, free from harassment and violence. The scenes that we've witnessed for three consecutive nights are a violation of the wishes of the vast majority here and it has to stop.

"There is no justification for petrol bombs, paint bombs and attacks on the police. Tensions have been running high over the course of the last few days and it's important that we all work intensively to address that. There are sinister elements within this city manipulating, controlling and exploiting vulnerable young people. They have to be challenged by all of us.

"I am urging young people who have been caught up in the violence, please stop. Please think about how your actions impact your neighbours, our city and ultimately, the consequences that it will have for your future when you're caught. People in this city understand how riotous, anti-community activity can quickly turn to tragedy. It isn't worth it.

"I would also appeal to parents to speak to their children about the impact of violence on this city. Let them know that we don't want to go back to those days."
News Image
Major Resurfacing Scheme In Carrickfergus

A major resurfacing scheme on Pinewood Avenue in Carrickfergus is set to begin on Monday, 19 August.

The £94,000 scheme, which extends from Northland to Sandes Court, will deliver significant improvements to both the structural integrity and surface of the road. Work is expected to be completed by Friday 13 September 2019.

A full road closure will be in place for the duration of the work from Monday to Friday between the hours of 7.00 am and 6.00 pm. Access for residents will be facilitated.

A two-way diversion will be in operation via Northland, Sunnylands Avenue and Sandes Court.

Police Investigate Series Of Arson Attacks On Cars In New Lodge

Investigations are underway following a number of incidents overnight in the New Lodge area.

According to the PSNI, at about 3.30am residents of a house at Carlisle Square discovered a man, aged in his 20s, had forced entry into their home.

A police responded to this incident, a car was set alight at Victoria Parade. After emergency services had dealt with this, it was discovered that two more cars had been destroyed in deliberate fires at Carlisle Terrace.

Police have said that they believe the same man who had broken into the house earlier that night was responsible for the car arson attacks.

Anyone who has any information is asked to contact police at Musgrave on 101 quoting reference number 181 of 13 August 2019.

Alternatively, information can also be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 which is 100% anonymous and gives people the power to speak up and stop crime.


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

16 March 2020
Belfast City Marathon Postponed
Organisers of the Belfast City Marathon have took the decision to postpone the race and following half marathon fixture in light of the coronavirus outbreak. The marathon, originally due to take place on Sunday 03 May, will now be held on Sunday 20 September 2020.
12 March 2020
Coronavirus: BCC To Hold Special Meeting
Belfast City councillors are to convene in a special meeting to assess the growing threat of coronavirus. It comes after it emerged that protection measures are to be stepped up in the Republic of Ireland, with all schools, colleges and childcare facilities to close. A total of 20 cases of the virus have been confirmed in Northern Ireland.
12 March 2020
Eastern Airways Saves Belfast-Southampton Route
Flights from Belfast City Airport to Southampton have been saved by Eastern Airways. The airline stepped in to fulfil the busy route after announcing on Monday that it was creating a six-times weekly Belfast to Teeside International Airport flight. The daily Southampton flights are now available for booking and will begin on Monday 23 March.
19 March 2020
Other News In Brief
Woman Arrested Amid Muckamore Abbey Probe Release A woman arrested by detectives investigating allegations of patient abuse at a Co Antrim hospital has been released pending a report to the Public Prosecution Service.
10 March 2020
Staff Face Temporary Lay-Off In Wake Of Flybe Collapse
Baggage handlers and check-in staff at Belfast City Airport have been left facing immediate temporary lay-offs in the wake of Flybe's collapse, a trade union has warned. A 14 day unpaid "stand down period" was offered by Swissport just one day after the airline giant collapsed into administration, Unite has revealed.