16/08/2019

Alleged UVF Threats Made At Lisnasharragh

An alleged UVF threat has been made against contractors working on a leisure centre in east Belfast.

It is understood that work may be halted at Lisnasharragh Leisure Centre, the site of the former Robinson Centre, due to threats lodged by the paramilitary group.

Alliance Councillor for the area Eric Hanvey said Belfast City Council was aware of the intimidation, which came about due to work to turn a section of the site previously used for 11 July bonfires into 3G pitches and a children's playground.
News Image
Lisnasharragh representative Mr Hanvey condemned the behaviour as unacceptable. He said: "People in Lisnasharragh and further afield have been calling for a new state of the art leisure centre for some time. In addition, there has been a strong local desire for 3G pitches to be installed here. Now that is happening and the workers have to face intimidation, therefore it is looking likely work will be stopped there.

"I'm aware that the Council consulted at length with the community over these plans and there is support for the new layout. It is important to recognise this pitch can be used by the community for a wide range of sports and events. There have also been offers to provide a beacon on the site so the Eleventh celebrations can go ahead without damage to the facilities.

"The people behind this bullying behaviour don't speak for the community and a 3G pitch for community use year-round is more important than a big bonfire on one day of the year. I call on those who have given the threats to remove them immediately and allow workers to go on site without the risk of violence or worse."



(JG/CM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

07 June 2005
Unofficial strike action affects postal deliveries
Postal deliveries across Belfast have been affected today following unofficial industrial action by Royal Mail workers in the Toome Street depot. The strike is believed to have occurred when overtime payment was demanded for work that managers claimed could be done in normal hours. When this was refused 250 staff walked out.
17 January 2020
Arrest As Murder Probe Launched Over Craigavon Death
A 40 year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder following a sudden death in Craigavon. The PSNI's Major Investigation Team have commenced a murder probe into the death of a 25 year-old in the Lake Road area on Thursday night, 16 January. A post mortem examination is to be carried out in due course.
17 January 2020
Eight Sentenced Over Christopher Meli Death
Eight young people have been sentenced for offences connected to the death of Christopher Meli in 2015. Six defendants avoided jail while two were handed custodial sentences at Laganside Crown Court on Thursday 16 January. The west Belfast man died in December 2015, aged 20, after he was beaten in the Twinbrook area.
25 July 2003
Government extends protection for NI workers
New measures to protect around 15,000 additional workers from excessive hours and unreasonable working patterns have been introduced by the Department of Employment and Learning (DEL).
17 October 2003
Proposed pilot community conventions on the way
Social Development Minister, John Spellar today confirmedthe government’s commitment to the proposed pilot community conventions for Protestant working class communities.