11/09/2019

Council Reminds Students Of Home Safety Measures

Students heading to Belfast to settle in for the new academic year are urged to put safety first when it comes to choosing their accommodation.

Belfast City Council issued the timely reminder to highlight the importance of making home safety a priority to ensure their student experience is as safe and enjoyable as possible.

Three key areas have been identified- fire safety, carbon monoxide poisoning and crime prevention- and new residents have been urged to discuss these matters with their flatmates.

Below are some pointers that all students should be thinking about.

Fire Safety

• Smoke alarms; one should be installed on each level and tested weekly!

• Counterfeit phone chargers often fail to meet UK safety regulations. Always use the charger supplied with the phone. Never leave your phone to charge overnight as it can potentially cause a fire due to overheating.

• Plan a route to escape if there is a fire and make sure everyone in the house knows the plan. If there's a fire, don't tackle it yourself – get out, stay out and call 999.

• Too many electrical appliances plugged into one socket can overload it, which can lead to overheating. Electrical appliances, plugs and cables that are old or poorly wired can also be a real danger. Be aware of the risks posed by unattended hair straighteners!

• Always place candles in a purpose-made candle holder; don't put them near curtains, or other fabrics or furniture, and keep them out of draughts.

• Consider keeping a fire blanket in the kitchen, mounted on the wall, where you can get to it easily and quickly. Fire blankets can be used to put out a fire or wrap a person whose clothes are on fire.

Carbon Monoxide
News Image
• Carbon Monoxide is a gas which has no smell or taste. It is highly poisonous and is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal and wood don't fully burn. Most households have appliances which use these fuels, for example boilers, gas fires, central heating systems, water heaters, cookers and open fires. Breathing in carbon monoxide can make you unwell and, if you are exposed to high levels the effects can be fatal.

• Symptoms of carbon monoxide aren't always obvious, particularly at low-level exposure. The most common symptoms include a tension-type headache; dizziness; nausea and vomiting; tiredness and confusion; stomach pain; and shortness of breath and difficulty breathing.

• Make sure your student accommodation has a working carbon monoxide alarm in rooms where a fuel burning appliance is located and test the alarm regularly. If you have a gas appliance, make sure to ask your landlord for a gas safety certificate to show that it has been serviced annually.

Crime Prevention

Making sure your accommodation is secure is also vitally important; use these five questions as a guide when choosing where you're going to live;

• Is the property secure from the outside.

• Does the property have a working alarm?

• Do the front and back doors look solid and secure?

• Are the windows lockable and secure?

• Is there adequate outside lighting?

And remember to protect your valuables! - Computers, cash, electrical goods and jewellery are among the most commonly stolen items in domestic burglaries, so if at all possible use a home safe!

Chair of the People and Communities Committee, Councillor Michael Collins said: "Belfast's student population continues to grow year on year and the hunt for suitable accommodation is always a highlight. For many young people, this is their first experience living away from home or sharing with friends, so it's vital that they know what to look for when choosing their new accommodation.

"By just being more aware of the potential risks and following some simple guidelines, students can help to ensure that they minimise the risk to them and others."



(JG/CM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

04 October 2004
North-South Fire Safety Week launched
A joint north-south Fire Safety Week has been launched today by the Northern Ireland Fire Brigade and the Republic of Ireland’s National Safety Council. ‘Fire, Our Community at Risk’ aims to raise public awareness of fire safety issues, and in particular, the higher risk to the very young and elderly people living alone.
06 October 2003
Ministers launch fire safety week
Minister for Health, Social Services and Public Safety, Angela Smith, today jointly launched Fire Safety Week with her counterpart from Dublin, Pat the Cope Gallagher, Minister for Safety.
07 October 2010
Ireland-wide Fire Safety Week Underway
Ireland is 'going to blazes' as National Fire Safety Week takes place this week.
25 February 2010
University 'Goes To Blazes' In Design Test
Construction professionals from across the world will watch how steel beams used in modern office buildings react in a burning inferno, in the first fire test of its kind, staged by the University of Ulster this week.
17 July 2001
ASSEMBLY CREATE AWARD TO HONOUR FIRE SERVICE
THE Northern Ireland Fire Service is to receive the first ever award given by the province's devolved assembly. An illuminated scroll is to be presented to Chief Fire Officer John McClelland on Tuesday, by assembly speaker Lord Alderdice in tribute to the sacrifice made by fire fighters over the years.