20/09/2019

Man Jailed For 13 Years Over Belfast Rape

A man has been sentenced to 13 years in prison for the rape of two young women in November 2017.

Orhan Kibar, aged 43, is also facing an extended licence period of three years after targeting the pair at a house in south Belfast.

One of the women was locked in the bathroom during the attack, before managing to escape and raise the alarm.

Kabir was found guilty of three counts of rape and one charge of false imprisonment at Laganside Crown Court on Thursday 19 September. He will be subjected to a Sexual Offences Prevention Order for 10 years after release as well as indefinite notification requirements.

Police have welcomed the sentencing and commended the two young women for pursuing the conviction.
News Image
Detective Sergeant Graeme McArthur said: "Rape is one of the most serious of crimes and this prolonged attack by Kibar on two young women would have been terrifying. It will undoubtedly have a significant and lasting impact on them.

"Both victims displayed tremendous courage in coming forward to police. Seeing a case such as this through the criminal justice system can be daunting, particularly as Kibar pled not guilty, but detectives in PSNI's Public Protection Branch support victims and thoroughly investigate these types of offences.

"I welcome the sentence handed down by the judge today. Whilst this will not undo what Kibar did to these two young females, he is now in custody for his crimes. I hope this will encourage other victims to report offences to police and be assured that we will treat you with the utmost professionalism and sensitivity."



(JG/CM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

09 October 2019
Police Release Details Of Suspicious Approach
Police in Lisburn have released details of a suspicious approach to children. Officers said they are investigating an assault in the Huguenot Drive area of the city on Friday 04 October. An unknown male approached two children at some time between 3.30pm and 4pm.
10 October 2019
Arrest In Charlotte Murray Murder Probe
A 47-year-old man has been arrested by detectives investigating the murder of Omagh woman Charlotte Murray. He was detained in Moy, County Tyrone on Wednesday 09 October on suspicion of assisting offenders, withholding information and perverting the course justice.
09 October 2019
Charlotte Murray: Ex-Fiancee Convicted Of 2012 Murder
Police have renewed their appeal for the recovery of Charlotte Murray's body after a Coleraine man was convicted of her murder. A jury unanimously found 48-year-old Johnny Miller guilty of the 2012 murder of his then 34-year-old ex-fiancée on Tuesday 08 October.
09 October 2019
L'Derry Shooting Treated As Attempted Murder
Detectives in L'Derry are investigating a shooting in the city on Tuesday evening as attempted murder. Providing an update on the enquiry, police corrected their earlier statement that a 30-year-old man had been shot in both legs, clarifying that he sustained a foot injury.
17 July 2002
Hanna praises role of New Deal in securing jobs
A report on the New Deal for 18-24 year olds has revealed that the scheme has made unemployed people aged 18-24 more likely to find a job or secure a place in education and training.