14/01/2020

Fresh Appeal Over Glen Quinn Murder

Police investigating the "violent and unprovoked" murder of Carrickfergus man Glen Quinn have renewed their appeal for information.

Officers released CCTV images of the 47 year-old in the days before his death in the hope of jogging someone's memory.

Mr Quinn has been described as a vulnerable man who was "not in the best of health". His body was found on Saturday 04 January at his Ashleigh Park flat after a friend reported concerns for his safety.

It's known that he was attacked and sustained blunt force trauma to the head that resulted in his death.

Detectives are keen to establish Mr Quinn's last known whereabouts after he visited shops on the Woodburn Road at around 2pm on Thursday 02 January. Due to his limited mobility, he would have travelled there in his silver BMW car, registration YEZ1590.

Police are interested in speaking to anyone who saw the victim in his car after this time or saw or spoke to him in the days before his murder.
News Image
The fatal attack came just days after an earlier assault on 29 December that left Mr Quinn uninjured but understandably frightened. Police said he was well-known throughout the area, with no known enemies and no reason for anyone to cause him harm.

Detective Chief Inspector Darren McCartney said: "This was a violent and unprovoked attack on a vulnerable member of your community who was not in the best of health.

"The appalling individuals, who preyed on defenceless Glenn in his own home need to be caught and put behind bars. It is clear that they do not represent the Carrickfergus community, everyone has the right to feel safe in their own home."

A possible link between the first assault and the fatal attack that followed is being investigated.

Members of the public who have been in contact with Mr Quinn since Christmas Day and to whom he had revealed any concerns for his safety are urged to contact police as they attempt to shed light on a motive for his murder.

Anyone who was in Ashleigh Park on Friday 03 January between midday and 10pm or who witnessed the 29 December assault or captured it on a dashcam is also advised to speak to detectives by calling 101.

Information can also be provided anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.



(JG/CM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

01 November 2012
Quinns Due Back In Court
Sean Quinn and his son are due back in a Dublin court later as the inquiry continues as to whether or not the former billionaires have complied with court orders. Sean Quinn was once the richest man in Ireland, but declared himself bankrupt last year.
15 April 2011
Quinn Barred From Own Insurance Firm
A leading Irish entrepreneur is to loose control of the insurance business he personally founded after it ran into financial problems. Sean Quinn and his family will no longer have any role in the management of the Quinn Group following a restructure.
30 July 2012
Cavan Crowd Turns Out In Support Of Quinns
Bankrupt businessman Sean Quinn has addressed a supportive crowd in County Cavan, the BBC has reported. Hundreds of supporters attended the rally in Ballyconnell last night and speakers included well-known GAA personalities including Michey Harte and Joe Kernan.
03 January 2013
Sean Quinn Released From Prison
Businessman Sean Quinn Snr has been released from prison after serving his sentence for contempt of court. The 66-year-old served nine weeks in Mountjoy Prison in Dublin. He had been released temporarily to spend Christmas with his family in Ballyconnell, County Cavan.
09 November 2012
Arson Attack On Quinn Windfarm
An arson attack has been carried out at Quinn Group premises in Derrylin, County Fermanagh. The incident occurred yesterday evening between 18:00 and 19:00 when an electrical substation at a windfarm was set on fire. No-one was injured but the substation is thought to have been severely damaged.