06/02/2020

Funding Secured For Community Care In Antrim

A programme providing community-based care for frail older people in the Antrim area will be funded for the next five years, it's been confirmed.

People over the age of 70 are supported by the IMPACTAgewell initiative, led by the Mid & East Antrim Agewell Partnership (MEAAP) alongside local GP practices, community pharmacists, trust social work teams, commissioners and the community/voluntary sector.

The service offers assistance for those living with long-term health conditions in areas of domestic life that may cause them difficulty, such as accessing transport, heating their home, not understanding their medications, support to better manage their health conditions or guidance for claiming benefits.

Some 1,000 people have been assisted since the scheme was first established.

Dunhill Medical Trust and the Health and Social Care Board will provide additional funds for the service until 2025, confirmed Valerie Watts, HSCB Chief Executive.
News Image
She told an MEAAP event: "After positive evaluation findings and the ongoing commitment from Dunhill Medical Trust, the Health and Social Care Board has agreed to provide funding to secure the IMPACTAgewell® project for the next five years.

"This is fantastic news for older people and the Trust in Mid and East Antrim and will enable the roll out of IMPACTAgewell on a phased basis to cover all 26 GP practices in the Mid and East Antrim area."

Susan Kay, CEO of The Dunhill Medical Trust, congratulated MEAAP and all the partners involved in the initiative.

"This fantastically energetic partnership has met all of its considerable challenges with positivity and commitment," Ms Kay said. "It has demonstrated that it really doesn't matter whether services are owned by the public, private or third sectors – the imperative is that those sectors need to find ways to work together seamlessly to benefit the community. We are delighted to be able to continue to play our part."



(JG/MH)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

15 June 2012
Poots Putting Brakes On Causeway Hospital Announcement - Dallat
SDLP East Derry MLA John Dallat has spoken of his dismay that an expected announcement on the future of the Causeway Hospital A & E Department, which was due to be made public at a meeting of the Northern Health Trust next Friday, has effectively been shelved on the instructions of the Health Minister Edwin Poots.
12 March 2020
NI Covid-19 Total Rises By Two
Two further people have tested positive for coronavirus in Northern Ireland, the Department of Health has revealed. Both cases are adults and are declared as secondary transmissions. One of the individuals had recently travelled from northern Italy, while the other has been linked to a previously reported patient who travelled to the region.
24 April 2013
Nine Residential Care Homes To Close
The Northern Health and Social Care Trust is set to close all nine of its residential care homes starting in November this year, according to Unison. Two homes, Pinewood in Ballymena and Westlands in Cookstown are to close in November, followed by Rathmoyle in Moyle in January 2014.
18 May 2010
McGimpsey Defends A&E Closures
As opposition grows to the closure of two casualty departments the Stormont Health Minister has said that keeping Whiteabbey Hospital accident and emergency services open "would endanger patients". He said that senior doctors are to leave the Newtownabbey hospital this month and insisted that the casualty unit cannot be safely sustained.
17 May 2010
Worse To Come As Antrim Patients Wait
Last week's decision to close casualty facilities in two hospitals has again been slammed. As news emerged that 18 people were waiting on trolleys for treatment at Antrim Area Hospital Casualty Department on Sunday, a politician has spoken out.