13/02/2020

PM Sacks NI Secretary Julian Smith

Northern Ireland Secretary of State Julian Smith has been sacked by Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

A key figure in the restoration of power sharing, Mr Smith was widely perceived as a strong secretary.

He lasted 204 days in the role after succeeding Karen Bradley in July 2019.

It's understood the MP was removed from his position early this morning, Thursday 13, as the Prime Minister reshuffles his cabinet.

Mr Smith tweeted: "Serving the people of Northern Ireland has been the biggest privilege. I am extremely grateful to Boris Johnson for giving me the chance to serve this amazing part of our country. The warmth and support from people across NI has been incredible. Thank you so much."

A replacement has not yet been announced.

The outgoing secretary was an integral figure to the return of devolved government in Northern Ireland last month, along with the Irish government.
News Image
SDLP Leader and new MP Colum Eastwood was among those to pay him tribute. He wrote on Twitter: "Thank you @JulianSmithUK for your tireless commitment to devolution, for the work you've done for victims of historical institutional abuse & for securing much needed resource for Derry.

"Sacking the most successful SoS in a decade shows Johnson's dangerous indifference to us."

The decision is so far proving unpopular among local politicians, as well as campaigners for victims of historical abuse, who welcomed the MP for Skipton and Ripon's action to provide long-awaited compensation through Parliament.

DUP Leader Arlene Foster added her well-wishes on Twitter, writing: "Spoke with @JulianSmithUK a short time ago to thank him for his help in getting devolution restored. We may not have always agreed (we did sometimes) but his dedication to the role was incredible. Best wishes to him and his family. Always welcome in Fermanagh."

Whoever is next to fill the role will be the region's fourth secretary in under four years.



(JG/CM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

12 March 2020
Budget: Extra £210m For NI Public Services
Business and political leaders have been giving their reactions to the Budget, with an extra £210 million allocated for public services in Northern Ireland. The Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, yesterday pledged a £12 billion package of measures aimed at tackling the spread of coronavirus across the UK.
05 January 2006
Former NI Secretary of State Lord Merlyn-Rees dies
Former Labour Home Secretary and Northern Ireland Secretary Lord Merlyn-Rees has died in a London hospital aged 85. The labour politician had lapsed into a coma as the result of several falls from which he never recovered. He entered the Commons in 1962 where he served under the governments of both Harold Wilson and James Callaghan.
19 March 2020
Head Teachers Union Welcomes School Closures
The National Association of Head Teachers has welcomed the news that all schools in Northern Ireland will close from Friday.
19 September 2005
Violence threatens NI's economic potential
Scenes of violence and destruction in and around Belfast are viewed as a major setback the bid to achieve the full economic potential for Northern Ireland. That was the message from the Economic Development Forum, which met recently to discuss progress on meeting the major challenges facing the economy.
07 September 2005
Skilled workforce 'foundation' for success, says Minister
Employment and Learning Minister, Angela Smith has said that a skilled and knowledgeable workforce is the "foundation" for business success. The Minister was speaking to representatives of 34 organisations, from across Northern Ireland, attending an Investors in People award ceremony held today at Hillsborough Castle.