05/05/2021

New Searches Underway In Ballyhalbert For Missing Lisa Dorrian

Detectives investigating the murder of Lisa Dorrian are conducting further searches in Ballyhalbert.

Ms Dorrian was 25 when she disappeared after attending a party at a caravan park in Ballyhalbert.

Ponds at the Clay Pits are currently being searched.

Detective Superintendent Jason Murphy, who is leading the investigation said: "Detectives from the PSNI's Major Investigation Team, together with divers, are conducting a number of searches in the Ballyhalbert area. The searches are concentrated on a number of lakes at The Clay Pits close to the caravan park where Lisa was last seen alive.

"Sixteen years have now passed, but our resolve has not diminished. It is important that we bring the Dorrian family the answers that any grieving family deserves. While we want to recover Lisa's body and allow the Dorrian family to finally lay Lisa to rest we remain determined to bring those who killed her to justice and are also looking for evidence relating to her disappearance.
News Image
"We continue to review parts of the original investigation and previous searches in the area. These searches are an extension of us adopting new thinking around the circumstances of Lisa’s murder. While this area was previously considered and work conducted to examine it, our investigative thinking and knowledge has developed over time. It is important to the police service and Lisa's family that we have clarity, and with the development of search techniques and technology, I intend to gain reassurance that the examination of the lakes has been conducted to the necessary extent and to modern day standards.

"I have previously stated that I do not believe that Lisa's murder was pre-planned and I am of the view that the deposition of her body was equally unplanned. I have repeatedly said that I believe the answers to her murder remain local to Ballyhalbert and I remain convinced that a small number of people hold the key to Lisa's disappearance. I continue to appeal for those with direct knowledge of Lisa’s whereabouts to find a way to get that information to me, anonymously or via a third party if necessary."

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

18 March 2020
Call For Police Support Over Comber Murder Bid
An Alliance MLA has issued a call for support for the police following a shooting in Comber. The gun attack on Sunday night, 15 March, is being treated as attempted murder. A man in his 50s had driven into a yard in the Ballycreely Road area of the town when a masked man armed with a suspected handgun emerged from a hedge.
18 November 2020
Reward For Information On Shooting Of Coleraine Woman
A reward of £10,000 is being offered for information leading to a conviction in the shooting of a vulnerable woman at her home on Bushmills Road, Coleraine on Monday 05 October.
12 November 2020
Man Arrested On Suspicion Of Attempted Murder
Police have arrested a 29-year-old man on suspicion of attempted murder in connection with an incident in Dungannon At around 10.40pm last night at the Granville Industrial Estaste two men, both aged 25, were threatened by another two men armed with handguns. Shots were fired at one of the men as he ran away, however thankfully he was not struck.
16 March 2020
Police Treat Co Down Gun Attack As Attempted Murder
Police are treating a gun attack in Comber, Co Down as attempted murder. A man in his 50s suffered injuries that are not believed to be life threatening when the incident occurred shortly after 10.20pm on Sunday night, 15 March.
17 November 2020
Fresh Appeal For Information On Murder Of Mike Kerr
Police have issued a fresh appeal for information on the murder of Mike Kerr ahead of the first anniversary of his death. Mr Kerr (68) was the victim of a "vicious and cruel attack" at his home in Birch Drive, Bangor sometime between the 17th and 18th November, 2019.