12/05/2021

Ballymurphy Families Vindicated

The pronouncement of 10 people killed in west Belfast in 1971 as innocent has been welcomed by deputy First Minister Michelle O'Neill.

The British Army was found to be responsible for nine of the deaths of 10 people in Ballymurphy in August 1971.

Ms O'Neill said: "What happened in Ballymurphy was state murder and for decades the British government have covered it up. Now the truth has been laid bare for all to see. 
News Image
"But still this British government are attempting to slam the door to justice closed in the face of these families and others killed by the state or as a result of collusion. 

"As the findings from the inquest were being read, the British government was announcing its plans to legislate to cover up its role in the conflict and to put current and former British soldiers beyond justice and the law. 

"British state forces cannot be above the law. We must deal with the past, including the British state's role, and the Stormont House Agreement must be implemented immediately."

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

07 June 2021
'More Difficult' If Poots Does Not Take First Minister Role - Lewis
The NI Secretary of State has said that Edwin Poots' decision not to take on the First Minister's role will make things more difficult and that it would be a mistake. Brandon Lewis suggested to the Sunday Times that Mr Poots would not have regular access to the secretary of state or with Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
03 June 2021
Belfast Restaurant Forced To Close Over New Govt Restrictions
A buffet restaurant in Belfast has been forced to close due to new government restrictions in relation to table service. Cosmo Belfast in Victoria Square said it would re-open again as soon as the restrictions have been lifted.
19 May 2021
PM Publicly Apologises To Families Of Ballymurphy Victims
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has apologised to the families of the Ballymurphy victims in the House of Commons. Mr Johnson read out the names of the victims killed in west Belfast 50 years ago in shootings involving British soldiers. Last week a coroner ruled that 10 people who died were "entirely innocent".
18 October 2006
Government announce funding boost for 'New Life counselling'
The New Life Counselling Service in North Belfast is to benefit from £175,000 from the Department for Social Development it has today been revealed. The funding has been provided by the Department’s Belfast Regeneration Office, through the Neighbourhood Renewal Strategy.
13 May 2021
PM Apologises 'Unreservedly' For Deaths Of Innocent People In Ballymurphy
The Prime Minister has "apologised unreservedly" for the events that led to the death of 10 innocent civilians in Ballymurphy in August 1971. Boris Johnson made the apology on behalf of the UK Government.