25/04/2022

Four Men Jailed For The Murder Of Paul Smyth

Four men have been jailed for the murder of Paul Smyth, who was shot dead at his home in Lisburn in June 2019.

The PSNI's Major Investigation Team have welcomed the sentences handed down to four men in relation to the murder of Paul Smyth and a further attempted murder.

Mr Smyth was shot dead at his home in Coulson Avenue in Lisburn in the early hours of 19 June 2019.

Some days later, in the early hours of 23 June, a shot was fired at a family home in the Mill Street area of the city. The shot, which was fired from the street, hit and shattered the window of the property. While no one was physically injured, the occupants were left traumatised.

Today (Monday 25 April) at Belfast Crown Court, James McVeigh, aged 32, was sentenced to a minimum of 18 years' imprisonment, having pleaded guilty to the murder of Paul Smyth.

Ryan Megarry, aged 39, who had pleaded guilty to encouraging or assisting offenders, having identified Paul Smyth's home, was sentenced to 18 months – nine months to be served in custody and nine months to be served on licence.
News Image
James Holmes, aged 35, was sentenced to 13 years in custody with an extended licence period of three years, after pleading guilty to firearms offences and attempted murder in relation to the gun attack in Mill Street.

James Stewart, aged 32, was sentenced to 10 years – five years to be served in custody and five on licence – after pleading guilty to firearms offences relating to Mill Street.

Detective Inspector Ian Davis said: "Paul Smyth, who was 50 years old, died as a result of a shotgun wound to the chest.

"He had been murdered, by James McVeigh, at his home in Lisburn's Coulson Avenue. He was shot in the early hours of Wednesday 19 June 2019 and we believe this was when McVeigh obtained a large sum of money. Mr Smyth was sadly found dead by a neighbour that Friday (21 June).

"Forensic evidence connects the murder of Paul Smyth and the subsequent attempted murder, and it's worryingly clear that we could easily have been dealing with more than one fatality.

"My thoughts are, first and foremost, with Mr Smyth's family.

"Today's sentencing will, of course, never take away their pain, and I can only hope that it helps to bring some degree of closure.

"It also sends out a clear message to anyone who thinks they can get away with such atrocity: we will work tirelessly and relentlessly to bring offenders before the courts, so that victims and their families receive the justice they deserve."

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

16 June 2022
Other News In Brief
Safety of New Lodge Residents 'Must Remain Paramount' – SF Following a night of disruption in the New Lodge area, Sinn Féin MLA Carál Ní Chuilín has said the safety of residents must be paramount.
06 June 2022
Lagan Search And Rescue Awarded Queen's Award For Voluntary Services
Lagan Search and Rescue has announced that they have been awarded the Queen's Award for Voluntary Service. The Queen's Award for Voluntary Service aims to recognise outstanding work by local volunteer groups to benefit their communities.
31 May 2022
Health Services Available Over Jubilee Bank Holiday Weekend
Ahead of the Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend, the Department of Health has issued a reminder of the range of healthcare services available to the public. The Dept said: "If you or some of your family members feel unwell, it is important to choose the service most appropriate to your symptoms.
17 June 2022
PSNI Welcomes Sentencing Of Three Men For Drug-Related Offences
Detectives from the PSNI's Organised Crime Unit have welcomed the sentences handed to three men for drug-related offences. Luke Donaghy (27), Andrew Farmer (29) and Philip Carson (30) appeared before Dungannon Crown Court on Thursday 9 June. Donaghy was sentenced to 4 years with 21 months in custody and 27 months on licence.
16 June 2022
26-Year-Old Jailed For 10 Years For Sexual Offences Against Children
The PSNI have welcomed a 10 year sentence handed down to Joshua Olphert at Coleraine Crown Court for a number of serious sexual offences against children. The 26-year-old from L'Derry was also placed on the Sex Offenders Register for an indefinite period and will be subject to a Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO) for 10 years.