19/06/2026

Murder Investigation Launched Following Death of 30-Year-Old Man in West Belfast

Detectives from the Police Service of Northern Ireland's Major Investigation Team have launched an investigation into the death of a man following an assault in the Suffolk Road area of west Belfast last Friday.

The victim has been named as 30-year-old local man, Mr Carl Holland.

Detective Inspector Collins said: "We can confirm that Carl Holland has sadly passed away, and our thoughts are, first and foremost, with his family and friends at this extremely difficult time."

He added: "Carl was the victim of an assault, which happened outside licensed premises in the Suffolk Road area of the city on the night of Friday, 12th June.

"The male suspect arrived by taxi, he punched the victim, and then left in the taxi. This was at approximately 9pm.
News Image
"Carl was taken to hospital for treatment to a serious head injury, where he remained in a critical condition until his untimely death."

Detective Inspector Collins has reiterated an appeal to anyone with information to come forward.

He said: "From enquiries, we know that a verbal altercation had taken place, inside the premises, earlier that same evening.

"I am asking anyone with information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, to get in touch. I'm particularly keen to hear from anyone who witnessed the assault, or the earlier altercation, and who may have captured footage, whether CCTV, mobile phone or dash cam.

"You can contact officers on 101 or report online at www.psni.police.uk/makeareport quoting reference number 1174 13/06/26."

Alternatively, information can be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers, with total anonymity, on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

27 November 2017
Boxer Carl Frampton Facing Legal Action From Cyclone Promotions
Belfast boxer Carl Frampton is facing legal action from his former trainers, his solicitor has conformed. He left Cyclone Promotions in August. His solicitor, John Finucane, confirmed legal action had been taken against him and he was "deeply disappointed" by the move. The claim is in relation to a breach of a promotional contract.
20 October 2016
Belfast Boxer Carl Frampton Confirms Rematch With Leo Santa Cruz
Belfast boxer Carl Frampton has confirmed a rematch with Mexican Leo Santa Cruz. The Featherweight World Champion from Tigers Bay took to Twitter to make the announcement. He wrote: "Done deal! The rematch vs @leosantacruz2 is on!!! More news to come soon #AndStill".
10 August 2016
Homecoming Celebration For Belfast Boxer Carl Frampton
A homecoming celebration is to be held for Belfast boxer Carl Frampton. He is the first Northern Irish boxer to win world championships at two different weights. He defeated Santa Cruz on points to give the 27-year-old Mexican fighter his first defeat. The event will take place at the City Hall on Friday, 12 August, between 6pm and 7pm.
08 August 2022
Murder Investigation Launched Into Disappearance Of Damien Heagney
The PSNI's Major Investigation Team have launched a murder investigation into the disappearance of 47-year-old Damien Heagney from Cookstown. Mr Heagney was reported missing on Tuesday 19 July and police have said that they are "keeping an open mind" they now believe that he has been murdered.
26 April 2023
Man Dies In Hospital Following Suspected Assault In Rasharkin
The PSNI's Major Investigation Team have launched an investigation into the death of a man following a suspected assault in the Rasharkin area. At around 10pm on Sunday 16 April, police received a report that a man had been found unconscious on the ground, at the back of licensed premises in the Main Street area of the village.