14/09/2005

UVF ceasefire no longer recognised - Hain

The Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) ceasefire is no longer recognised by the Government, Secretary of State Peter Hain has said.

Mr Hain confirmed the news on Tuesday following three days of violence in loyalist areas in which some members of the UVF had been implicated.

Announcing his decision, which also outlaws affiliated group the Red Hand Commandos (RHC), Mr Hain said: “I have reviewed the status of all specified and other paramilitary organisations, as I am obliged to do under legislation, and concluded there are sufficient grounds to specify the UVF/RHC. I intend therefore to lay an Order before Parliament to that effect and to seek Parliament’s approval.”

The Secretary of State acknowledged that the actions of the UVF in respect of the ongoing feud, which has claimed the lives of four people, taken together with attacks against the security forces over the course of the past weekend amounted to a breakdown in their ceasefire.

The declaration to specify the loyalist paramilitary group took effect from midnight on Tuesday.

(MB/SP)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

06 December 2018
Other News In Brief
Ulster Unionist Councillor Handed Partial Suspension An Ulster Unionist councillor has been issued with a partial suspension from two of the roles he holds on Belfast City Council. The local government watchdog ruled that Jim Rodgers had breached several parts of the code of conduct that governs councillors.
04 December 2018
SDLP Launches Disabled Members Group
The SDLP has launched a dedicated party activist group to promote the full participation of people with disabilities within Northern Ireland's society. North Belfast MLA Nichola Mallon established the body to actively support "the full realisation of disabled people's rights within society".
06 December 2018
Several Arrests In Connection With INLA Activity
Three people have been arrested on suspicion of paramilitary activity connected to the Irish National Liberation Army (INLA) after a number of searches in L'Derry. Two men, aged 45 and 60 and a 57-year-old woman were taken to Musgrave Street Police Station for questioning under the Terrorism Act on Wednesday 05 December.
31 October 2018
Secretary Of State To Meet With NI Parties On Thursday
The Northern Ireland Secretary Karen Bradley has confirmed she will meet with political parties to discuss a possible return to the power-sharing Executive on Thursday 01 November.
08 October 2018
NI Secretary Of State To Meet Stormont Parties
Northern Ireland Secretary of State Karen Bradley is to meet with the five main Stormont parties to discuss prospects for restoring devolution. Ms Bradley will also meet with church leaders and the Irish deputy prime minister in today's talks.
28 September 2018
Theresa May Defends Secretary Of State
Prime Minister Theresa May has spoke out in defence of Secretary of State Karen Bradley following her comments on Northern Ireland politics. In an interview with the Westminster's The House magazine earlier this month Mrs Bradley admitted that she was unaware that unionists and nationalists did not vote for each other.
17 August 2018
Presbyterian Church Leader To Attend State Reception For Pope
The head of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, Reverend Charles McMullen, is to attend the State reception for Pope Francis in Dublin Castle next week. The Presbyterian Moderator has accepted an invitation from the Irish Government to attend the event on Saturday, 25 August.
03 October 2017
Four People Arrested Over George Gilmore Murder
Four more people have been arrested over the murder of George Gilmore. Mr Gilmore, a high-profile loyalist, was shot in the neck in the Woodburn estate in Carrickfergus on 13 March this year. He died from his injuries the next day in hospital. A 30-year-old man and three women have been taken to Musgrave Police Station to be questioned.
10 April 2018
DUP Welcomes Loyalist Paramilitary Groups Commitment To Opposing Criminality
The DUP Leader, Arlene Foster, has welcomed the joint statement issued by UDA, UVF and Red Hand Commando, affirming their commitment to the 'rule of law'. In a statement issued on the DUP website, Mrs Foster said: "I welcome the Combined Loyalist Statement which opposes and condemns all forms of criminality.
30 July 2018
Loyalist Paramilitaries Order North Belfast Woman To Leave Her Home - SF
A woman in North Belfast has allegedly been threatened and ordered to leave her home by loyalist paramilitaries, according to Sinn Féin MLA Carál Ní Chuilín. The North Belfast MLA said that the woman's son "died tragically only days ago" and reported that her home was attacked hours after a warning was issued on Sunday, 29 July.
29 January 2018
Loyalist Supergrass Sentenced To Over Six Years Behind Bars
Loyalist supergrass Gary Haggarty has been sentenced to six and a half years behind bars for 202 terror offences. The former loyalist paramilitary turned police informer previously pleaded guilty to five murders. He was originally sentenced to 35 years, however he had the time reduced after he co-operated with the police.
09 April 2018
Loyalist Paramilitaries Commit To Rule Of Law
Marking the 20th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement, the Ulster Defence Association, Ulster Volunteer Force and the Red Hand Commando have issued a joint statement endorsing the rule of law.
09 March 2018
Appeal Against Loyalist Supergrass To Go-Ahead
An appeal against the prison sentence imposed on loyalist super grass Gary Haggarty is to go-ahead. Last month the Public Prosecution Service said it was appealing his six-and-a-half-year sentence as it was unduly lenient. However, Haggarty's lawyers reportedly missed a deadline for appeal by 25 minutes.
27 June 2007
Status of UVF ceasefire to be reviewed
The Secretary of State Peter Hain has ordered a review of the Ulster Volunteer Force’s ceasefire. Chief Constable Sir Hugh Orde will carry out the reappraisal following the loyalist group’s statement last month that it was abandoning violence.
10 May 2002
Calls for UVF ceasefire to be re-examined
The Northern Ireland Secretary of State Dr John Reid is under pressure to re-examine the Ulster Volunteer Force’s ceasefire after a loyalist political leader indicated the group was in the process of rearming.