31/01/2006

Criminal assets of £12m targeted in NI

Around £12 million in criminal assets have been targeted and 28 criminal gangs have been disrupted in Northern Ireland last year by agencies working to thwart organised crime.

Security Minister and Chair of the Organised Crime Task Force, Shaun Woodward, made the announcement at the launch of launch of PWC Global Economic Crime Survey in Belfast.

Speaking to representatives of the business community in Northern Ireland, Mr Woodward said: "I believe the business community have a vital role to play. I am delighted that the Confederation of British Industry, Northern Ireland Chamber of Commerce and the Federation of Small Businesses have joined the Task Force. I am confident that their contribution will significantly add to our collective response.

"Only by working in partnership with law enforcement and harnessing public awareness and support can we change perceptions, drive down tolerance of criminals and rid our community of the economic and human cost of organised crime."

Outlining how the efforts of the Government and law enforcement agencies were impacting on organised criminal gangs, he said: "The Task Force has made good progress in crucial areas. During 2004/05 28 top level criminal gangs were disrupted or dismantled; criminal assets totalling almost £12 million were collectively restrained or confiscated by the Assets Recovery Agency, police and Revenue & Customs; £7 million of counterfeit goods were seized in 2004/05 by PSNI and legitimate fuel deliveries increased by 6%."

However, the Minister said that more needed to be done: "While these achievements are extremely encouraging, there is more to be done by all of us. Not just by the law enforcement agencies and government but by industry, by the public and their political representatives.

"There are no quick fixes. Organised crime is complex and embedded in communities. Criminals show a blatant disregard for public safety and often prey on the most vulnerable in our society. Their only concern is to make money and it is in all our interests to prevent that happening."

(SP)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

27 January 2020
East Belfast Shooting Condemned
A shooting in the Short Strand area of east Belfast has been condemned as a "despicable" act. Police said a man walking in the area was shot at around 7.45pm on Saturday 25 January. His injuries are not believed to be life threatening. The incident in a busy built up area sparked outrage in the local community.
23 January 2020
Other News In Brief
Tom Jones Announces Belfast Gig Tom Jones is set to play a huge outdoor concert in Belfast. The Welsh superstar will play Live at Botanic Gardens on Sunday 31 May as he celebrates his 80th birthday. Hailed a 'living legend' by many, the singer recently returned to primetime TV as a coach and mentor on ITV's The Voice on Saturday evenings.
20 January 2020
PSNI Deputy Chief Constable To Retire
A search for the new PSNI second-in-command will soon begin after Deputy Chief Constable Stephen Martin announced his retirement. Mr Martin informed the Policing Board of his decision on Monday 20 January after almost 34 years of service.
17 January 2020
Arrest As Murder Probe Launched Over Craigavon Death
A 40 year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder following a sudden death in Craigavon. The PSNI's Major Investigation Team have commenced a murder probe into the death of a 25 year-old in the Lake Road area on Thursday night, 16 January. A post mortem examination is to be carried out in due course.
17 January 2020
Eight Sentenced Over Christopher Meli Death
Eight young people have been sentenced for offences connected to the death of Christopher Meli in 2015. Six defendants avoided jail while two were handed custodial sentences at Laganside Crown Court on Thursday 16 January. The west Belfast man died in December 2015, aged 20, after he was beaten in the Twinbrook area.