27/02/2006

Minister to receive Garda report on Dublin riot

An initial Garda report into the sectarian riot in Dublin on Saturday is expected to be made to Irish Minister for Justice Michael McDowell later today.

Irish police made 42 arrests following the street violence that broke out on Saturday as Ulster loyalists staged a Love Ulster rally and republicans staged a counter protest march.

The Irish Minister for Justice Michael McDowell has said that he expected further arrests to be made today. Gardai have been studying CCTV footage of the rioting and looting that broke out during the protest.

One of Dublin's senior police officers said that there had been no warning that protests on the scale seen had been planned. While accepting this, Mr McDowell has dismissed calls for a public inquiry and attacked those responsible as thugs who could not be allowed to decide who should exercise their civil liberties.

Northern Ireland Secretary of State Peter Hain said that the incident was a one-off and that it would not affect political negotiations.

The violence erupted when a counter protest by republicans clashed with Gardai at around 1pm on Saturday February 25 at O'Connell Bridge, Nassau Street, Aston Quay, and Fleet Street.

Six Gardai required hospital treatment for injuries during the skirmishes with protestors and the Garda Representative Association has called for an inquiry.

Republican Sinn Fein, who had organised the protest against the Love Ulster rally, have blamed Irish authorities for allowing the march to take place.

Retailers in Dublin's O'Connell Street shopping area estimate that the riot will have cost them millions of euro. Shoppers fled the busy shopping centre on Saturday as running battles broke out between police and protestors.

Shop windows were broken, there was some looting, and a number of cars were damaged.

(SP/GB)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

19 March 2020
Masked Gang Assault Man With Machete
A gang of five masked men wielding a machete have assaulted a 24 year-old male during an incident in Ballymena. The victim was left with head injuries following the suspected paramilitary-style assault on Wednesday night, 18 March. The gang forced their way into an apartment on Casement Street at around 11.
23 March 2020
Appeal As Co Down Companies Burgled
Police are appealing for information following burglaries of two businesses in Comber, Co Down. According to reports, entry was gained to a commercial premises on Railway Street at around 3.30am on Wednesday morning, 18 March. A sum of cash was taken.
10 January 2013
Dublin Flag Protest Called Off
A loyalist protest to be staged outside Leinster House in Dublin this Saturday has been called off. The move follows talks between An Garda Síochána and the protest’s planner, Willie Frazer. Gardai had been in the process of drawing up plans to police the protest, given the high chance of clashes between loyalists and dissident republicans.
15 May 2015
Rise In NI Passengers Using Dublin Airport
The number of Northern Ireland residents using Dublin Airport increased by 52% last year. A record 864,000 Northern Irish passengers flew in and out of the airport.
03 November 2010
Violence Mars Dublin Student Fees Protest
There have been violent scenes in Dublin today followed a mainly peaceful student protest against plans to increase registration fees. Thousands of students this afternoon marched to Merrion Square, where they were addressed by student leaders.