31/05/2006

Teenager given 15-years for schoolgirl's murder

The teenager who admitted murdering a west Belfast schoolgirl, has been told that he must serve a minimum of 15-years in prison.

Thomas Purcell, 18, from Windsor Road, Belfast, had initially denied murdering 16-year-old Megan McAlorum, however before the trial began at Craigavon Crown Court last month, he changed his plea to guilty at the last minute.

Purcell abducted the teenager and drove her to a secluded forested area just off the Glenside Road in the west of the city. He admitted to beating the teenager to death after they had sex in the early hours of Easter Sunday in April 2004.

Purcell then left her partially clothed body, returning the following day to discover the girl's body.

At Craigavon Crown Court today, Mr Justice McLaughlin said that Purcell had attacked his victim with "pitiless ferocity and with overwhelming force designed to achieve on object, namely her death."

Mr Justice McLaughlin described Megan as a "bright, vivacious fun-loving young woman, a credit to her parents and family and had everything to life for."

He added that she had been brought up by her parents to respect others, and had a bright future ahead of her.

"You destroyed all of that by killing her and in doing so destroyed the lives of her parents, brothers and sisters," he concluded.

Megan's mother, who attended today's court hearing to hear the minimum tarriff set for Purcell, collapsed and had to be supported as she left the court.

Margaret McAlorum had written to the court calling for Purcell not be be released and to serve life.

Outside the court she said that the whole family was "totally devastated" that Purcell, who she said had shown no remorse, would be allowed back out onto the streets.

(EF/SP)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

19 November 2019
Woman Charged Over Co Down Assault
A 22 year-old woman has been charged with attempted murder and common assault following a serious incident in Co Down. Four people were arrested in total following the assault in the Windmill Gardens area of Ballynahinch in the early hours of Sunday 17 November. The woman is due to appear at Newtownards Magistrates Court today, Tuesday 19 November.
13 February 2019
Two Men Charged After Double Stabbing In Coleraine
Two men have been charged in relation to a stabbing incident last month in County L'Derry. The suspects, aged 18 and 22, are accused of withholding information and obstruction. Two women, both aged 22, were attacked while walking close to Beresford Avenue in Coleraine at around 11.25pm on Sunday 13 January.
11 July 2018
Man Found Dead In Banbridge Named
A man found dead in Banbridge, Co Down, has been named as Richard Gerard Scullion. A murder investigation has launched after his body was found at a house in the Millmount court area on Monday, 09 July. A 28-year-old man arrested on Monday remains in police custody after the PSNI were granted an extension.
13 March 2018
Man Charged With Four Counts Of Attempted Murder
A man has been charged with four counts of attempted murder and a number of other offences. Three men and a woman were attacked at a house in the Queens Park area of Saintfield at around 3.40am on Sunday, 11 March. The woman sustained serious injuries and is receiving hospital treatment.
12 January 2016
Woman Charged With Attempted Murder After Man Stabbed In Co Down
A 36-year-old woman has been charged with attempted murder after a man was stabbed in Co Down. The 54-year-old victim was stabbed in the Manor Court area in Moira on Monday. He is currently in a serious but stable condition in hospital. The woman is to appear at Craigavon Magistrates Court on Wednesday.