01/08/2006

Inquest reveals details of Legge murder

A Belfast Inquest Court has today learned that a leading loyalist's murder was as brutal as those committed by the Shankill butchers 30 years ago.

George Legge (37), a former UFF leader, was found dead in a field near Carryduff in January 2001.

His throat had been cut and he had sustained multiple stab wounds.

It is believed that he was killed in the 'Bunch of Grapes' bar in east Belfast, which was owned by close associate Jim Gray, who was shot dead in Belfast last October.

Gray was one of five men later questioned about the murder, however was never charged.

The inquest today heard how the killers disposed of evidence of the murder by removing a carpet from Gray's pub, which police believe would have been covered in blood.

Mr Legge's blood was found on the street outside the property and fibres from a carpet discovered in his hair.

A short time later the bar was set alight with petrol what is believed to be an attempt to destroy evidence.

Mr Legge's body was discovered after being dumped on the Clontonacally Road in Carryduff.

At the time of his death, he was said to have been a senior member of the Ulster Freedom Fighters (UFF) who he had reportedly fallen out with just months before his death.

Speaking at today's inquest, Senior Coroner John Leckey, said: "I have been acting as Coroner long enough to remember the Shankill Butchers and looking at this brings back memories of how their victims were treated.

"It really is dreadful, dreadful injuries.

"It's a sobering thought that the person or persons responsible for this horrific murder are still walking the streets."

When Mr Leckey asked why the victim had not been shot, Detective Inspector Michael McErlane explained: "There was a reluctance by many organisations at that time to use firearms to try to demonstrate their move towards accepting a peace process where weapons were no longer needed.

"There is a deep-seated grudge or difference between paramilitaries within paramilitary organisations."

DI McErlane continued by saying that the case is one of many which is treated as an unsolved murder and will be reviewed in due course.

He added: "The case will remain open. The case is definitely not closed."

(EF)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

15 September 2017
Man Arrested Over Larne Incidents
A man has been arrested in connection with a number of incidents in Larne. The 23-year-old suspect has been detained on suspicion of attempted murder, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, hijacking and aggravated vehicle taking. A car was hijacked and shots fired at a property in Co Antrim on Monday, 11 September.
12 August 2016
Attempted Murder Investigation Launched Following Pipe Bomb Find
Police have launched an attempted murder investigation following the discovery of a pipe bomb in north Belfast on Tuesday, 09 August. The "viable device" was found in the North Queen Street area. Police believe it was most likely thrown at a passing PSNI vehicle the night before.
28 May 2009
Coleraine Murder Accused In Court
Nine men have appeared in court charged in connection with the murder of Coleraine father-of-four Kevin McDaid, and the attempted murder of Damien Fleming at the weekend.
15 February 2016
Inquest Into Arlene Arkinson's Murder Begins
The SDLP said the actions of the police in the murdered teenager Arlene Arkinson case raises very serious issues that need urgent answers. The inquest into the murder of Arlene Arkinson, 15, has begun at the Laganside Court complex in Belfast. Arlene disappeared in August 1994 after a night out at a disco in Co Donegal.
24 July 2017
Man Charged With Attempted Murder In Banbridge
A man has been charged with attempted murder after a man was attacked in Banbridge, Co Down. The assault happened at a block of flats in the Scarva Walk area on Friday, 21 July. The 40-year-old victim sustained head and facial injuries. A 20-year-old man has also been charged with Grievious Bodily Harm (GBH) with intent and theft.
22 June 2016
Man Charged With Attempted Murder Over Shooting In Co Tyrone
A 32-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder in connection with a shooting attack in Cookstown, Co Tyrone. A 35-year-old man was shot in the legs in the Drumcree area on Sunday, 05 June. Masked men, one armed with a handgun, attacked the victim at a house in the area.
27 August 2010
Gardaí Postpone 'Spy' Donaldson's Inquest
An inquest into the brutal shotgun murder of alleged Sinn Féin 'spy' Denis Donaldson has been adjourned for the fifth time in the Irish Republic. At the request of Gardaí the decision on the holding of an inquest into the murder has been postponed for the fifth time.
27 August 2014
Shankill Butcher Detective James Nesbitt Dies Aged 79
James Nesbitt, the lead detective in the hunt for the Shankill Butchers, has died aged 79. During his time with the Royal Ulster Constabulary, Mr Nesbitt was involved in a number of high profile cases, but he was most remembered for his key role in bringing the notorious murder gang to justice.
23 May 2014
Man Charged With Attempted Murder Following Crossbow Attack
A man has been charged with attempted murder following a crossbow attack in south Belfast on Wednesday evening. A 29-year-old man was shot with a crossbow while he was in a parked car in the Belgravia Avenue area. His injuries are not believed to be life threatening. A woman was also in the car at the time of the attack but was not injured.
26 February 2014
Murder Inquiry After Woman Dies
Police have launched a murder inquiry following the death of a woman in Co Tyrone. Mairead McCallion, 36, was found at a property in Castleview Court, Omagh, on Sunday morning. She had suffered head injuries and was taken to hospital, but died a day later.
11 August 2011
Shot Man's Wounds 'Not Life Threatening'
A 35-year-old man has been shot twice in the leg inside a house in Twinbrook on the outskirts of Belfast. A young girl and a woman were in the house in the Summerhill Drive area when the attack happened on Wednesday night. However, it is not believed that the man's injuries are life threatening.
16 October 2008
Appeal Over Armagh Murder Probe
Police are continuing to hunt the killer of a "quiet and inoffensive" woman who was well-known and liked in the area of Armagh that she lived in. A detective leading the investigation into the murder of the widow has said it might be possible that the killing had been a burglary or robbery "gone wrong".
11 September 2008
Five Arrested Over Journalist's Murder
Police investigating the murder of journalist Martin O'Hagan have arrested five people in counties Down and Armagh. The Sunday World reporter was gunned down by loyalist paramilitaries in 2001. The Lurgan man, 51, was walking home from a night out with his wife when the attack happened.
07 December 2007
Four Now Held Over Derry Police Murder Bid
The police swooped on a number of locations yesterday and in seperate operations arrested a total of four suspects in their on-going investigation into the shooting of an off duty policeman in Londonderry last month.
29 October 2007
Portrush Stab Accused Faces Attempted Murder Charge
An attempted murder charge has followed a serious incident in Portrush when a 19-year-old man was taken to hospital after being attacked. He was stabbed a number of times during the incident in the Crocknamack Street area on Saturday night.