19/02/2003

Orde defends his Bloody Sunday comments

PSNI Chief Constable Hugh Orde has come out in defence of remarks he made in yesterday's Financial Times newspaper when he claimed that the latest Bloody Sunday Inquiry was a "waste of money".

In a statement yesterday evening, Mr Orde said it was important to find out the truth about what happened on Bloody Sunday and that it was not his intention to cast doubts on the legitimacy of that inquiry.

He also said he was willing to meet with families of the victims to discuss his comments if they so wished.

“Society has a responsibility to find out what has happened in historical cases, but we must also meet the needs of the present," he said.

“There are a growing number of calls for investigations into historical cases and what I was saying is that perhaps now is the time to look again at how we go about establishing the truth and meeting the needs of victims and their families."

However, the Chief Constable continued to attract criticism today for his comments despite explaining the nature his remarks.

SDLP leader Mark Durkan slammed the Chief Constable for what he described as his "insensitivity and ignorance" towards Bloody Sunday victims.

"The Bloody Sunday Inquiry may be proving expensive but that is partly because of the various legal challenges that the military and Ministry of Defence have engaged in," he said.

"It is precisely because too many people in high places were hostile or indifferent to the need for truth about Bloody Sunday over so many years that an inquiry of this nature is so necessary to properly vindicate the innocent victims and bring out the truth."

Prime Minister Tony Blair established the Bloody Sunday Saville Inquiry in 1998 after a campaign by the families of the 14 people killed as a result of events on 30 January 1972 during a civil rights march in Londonderry.

The final cost of the tribunal, led by Lord Saville of Newdigate, could rests around the £150 million mark, and the inquiry's conclusions are not expected until next year.

(MB)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

19 August 2019
Bomb Explodes In Co Fermanagh
Police officers have escaped injury after an explosion in County Fermanagh. The device, which detonated in Newtownbutler this morning, has been confirmed as a "deliberate attempt" to murder police. Officers were lured to the area by reports that a suspect device had been left at Wattle Bridge on Saturday evening, 17 August.
16 August 2019
'Difficult Winter For Many' As Power NI Ups Prices
An SDLP councillor has warned that low income families will be forced into fuel poverty due to a price hike introduced by Power NI. The energy provider will impose the 6% increase from the beginning of October, meaning the typical household customer can expect to be charged an extra £35 a year.
16 August 2019
NI Children's Hospice Among Mayor's Charity Partners
The Northern Ireland Children's Hospice has been named by the Lord Mayor of Belfast as one of his charity partners. Councillor John Finucane will commit vital funds to support the organisation throughout his term in office.
06 March 2003
Orde apologises to Bloody Sunday families
Following the publication of controversial comments attributed to the PSNI chief constable on the Saville Inquiry, Hugh Orde has met with families of those killed on Bloody Sunday for what he described as a "sensible and interesting debate".
13 November 2018
Church-goers Pelted With Fireworks On Remembrance Sunday
People attending church on Remembrance Sunday, 11 November, were pelted with fireworks before responding police were also attacked in an incident branded as "senseless and shameful". It happened at a church on Union Street in Magherafelt on Sunday evening.