Report catalogues murder prosecution failures

The Police Ombudsman's inquiry into to role of paid police informers in 15 loyalist paramilitary murders has catalogued a list of failures to bring prosecutions due to missing and obstructed evidence due to Special Branch involvement in the investigations.

Mrs Nuala O'Loan began by examining the murder of Raymond McCord Junior, 22, who was found beaten to death in a quarry on the northern outskirts of Belfast in November 1997.

Information held by the police, and corroborated from a number of sources, indicates that Informant 1, who was in prison at the time, ordered his murder and that another man, who was on leave from the prison, carried it out. Informant 1 and his associates were eventually arrested for the murder, questioned and released without charge.

The Police Ombudsman has established that there were a number of failures with the murder investigation which may have significantly reduced the possibility of anyone ever being prosecuted for the crime. They include a failure to seize a suspects clothing from prison and the destruction of exhibits, including the car believed to have been used in the attack.

The Police Ombudsman found no evidence that police knew what was going to happen to Mr McCord, nor that they could have warned him or his family about the danger.

The report also refers to the death of Peter McTasney, who was murdered at Bawnmore in Belfast on February 24 1991. Later that year, when police were interviewing suspects about an attempted murder, which Informant 1 had told them about and was believed to have been involved in, they established that the gun used was the one used to kill Mr McTasney and was linked to a series of attempted murders.

Informant 1 was arrested and interviewed a total of 19 times. His 'handlers' conducted the main interviews. One of those handlers has said they 'babysat' him though the interviews and that notes were completed which did not reflect what happened in the interview. Informant I was subsequently released without charge. A combined file for the murder of Mr McTasney and the earlier attempted murder was prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). Two men were subsequently convicted. Special Branch, with the agreement of a Deputy Assistant Chief Constable, did not disclose to the DPP the involvement of a police agent.

Mrs O'Loan also referred to the murder of taxi-driver Sharon McKenna, who was shot dead on January 17 1993.

A Detective Sergeant and a Detective Constable have both said Haddock admitted to being one of the gunmen involved in the murder.

Informant 1 was arrested, detained for six days, and interviewed 37 times. Some of those interviews were conducted by his 'handler' and he was subsequently released without charge. No one has ever been charged with the murder.

Sean McParland was shot on February 17 1994 and died later from his injuries. Police Ombudsman investigators have seen information which indicated that two days before the murder, police received information that someone was to be killed the next morning. They mounted a response at the relevant time and place during which they saw Informant 1. Later that day they received information that Informant 1 had been involved in the planned attack but that it was called off when police were seen in the area. Mr McParland was shot the following day.

Police Ombudsman investigators have seen additional information in which Informant 1 names another police informant as having carried out the murder. He also admits to having had an involvement himself.

Gary Convie and Eamon Fox were shot dead on a building site in Belfast on May 17 1994.

Haddock was a suspect for the murder and was arrested. The gunman who carried out the murders was said to have a 'goatee' beard. Informant 1 when arrested had a 'goatee' beard but was allowed to shave it off while in custody. No identity parade was held. He was released without charge.

Gerard Brady was shot on June 17 1994. Police have intelligence which links Informant I and another police informant to this murder. Ballistic tests have also linked the gun used to Informant 1 and other police informants.

John Harbinson was beaten to death on May 18 1997. Special Branch had a significant amount of high-grade intelligence about the four main suspects for this murder, including Informant 1. They did not pass this information on to the police officers investigating the murder.

In relation to terrorism in the Republic, Informant 1 gave police information about a planned bomb attack in Dublin and helped them ensure the plan was aborted. Special Branch officers were instructed not to record the details.

Haddock later gave police information about another 'high profile' attack on a republican target and told them he had received the explosives to carry it out. The police made safe the explosives and returned them to him, but did not mount an operation to see what the terrorists had planned or to arrest them.

Within two weeks there was a bomb attack on the Sinn Fein offices in Monaghan. Intelligence held by police implicates police informants, including Informant 1. None of this information was passed to the Garda.


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

23 June 2016
Police Officers Disciplined For Failing To Tell Doctor About Woman's Head Injuries
Two police officers have been disciplined after they failed to let their colleagues and a police doctor know that a woman had sustained a head injury, a Police Ombudsman investigation has concluded. The woman died from bleeding to the brain on 24 February 2014, the day after she suffered the injury.
18 March 2020
Call For Police Support Over Comber Murder Bid
An Alliance MLA has issued a call for support for the police following a shooting in Comber. The gun attack on Sunday night, 15 March, is being treated as attempted murder. A man in his 50s had driven into a yard in the Ballycreely Road area of the town when a masked man armed with a suspected handgun emerged from a hedge.
04 August 2015
Attempt To Murder Police Officers Condemned
The DUP has condemned the latest attempt to murder police officers in Strabane, County Tyrone. A mortar bomb was discovered in the town in the Cemetery Road area in the early hours of Saturday morning.
20 February 2014
Man Arrested In Bangor Shooting Investigation
A man has been arrested by detectives investigating the attempted murder of two men in Bangor. The male victims, aged 24 and 33, were shot as they sat in a car in the Eastway area of the Whitehill estate at about 00:45 on 10 February. UTV has reported that the UVF are thought to have been behind the attack.
07 January 2013
Police Issue Appeal Over Attempted PSNI Murder
The PSNI has issued an appeal to the public regarding the attempted murder of an off-duty police officer and his family at their home in east Belfast on Sunday 30 December. Detectives from Serious Crime Branch want to speak to late night revellers who got taxis in Belfast city centre that weekend.