Cummings murder inquest begins

An inquest at Belfast Coroners Court into the shooting dead of a 19-year-old Catholic man in Antrim in July 2001 has heard that rival loyalist paramilitaries may have been involved.

Ciaran Cummings, 19, was shot twice with a sawn off shotgun as he waited for a lift at the Greystone Road roundabout.

Hit once by a gunman who was a pillion passenger on a motorcycle, Mr Cummings had tried to get away, but when he fell to the ground he was pinned by the legs and shot in the head at point blank range.

A Detective Chief Inspector said that the shooting was "absolutely brutal." He also said that rival loyalist paramilitary factions had made four different claims of responsibility.

Two separate claims had been made by the Red Hand Defenders, a name occasionally used by the Ulster Freedom Fighters, one from Orange Volunteers, and the Loyalist Volunteer Force had denied responsibility, but blamed the Ulster Volunteer Force.

Police believe that one organisation, probably the Red Hand Defenders, may have carried out the attack with support from the UVF.

No one has been convicted of the welder's murder, though a witness revealed that a dry run was carried out on the day before the murder.


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

11 July 2018
Other News In Brief
Over 60 New Homes To Be Built In Cookstown And Magherafelt More than 60 new homes are to be built in Cookstown and Magherafelt. A total of 23 new houses will be developed near Loran Vale in Cookstown, while a residential development comprising 43 units will be built on the Moneymore Road in Magherafelt.
03 December 2001
Man questioned in relation to Rosemary Nelson’s murder
Officers investigating the murder of Lurgan solicitor Rosemary Nelson have arrested a man in County Armagh. The 41-year-old man was taken from his home in Portadown for questioning about serious terrorist offences on Monday December 3. Rosemary Nelson, a Catholic mother-of-three, died in a booby-trap car bomb near her home on 15 March 1999.
20 May 2003
Loyalist paramilitary group claim bomb attack
Loyalist paramilitary group, the Red Hand Defenders have admitted planting a bomb outside the offices of Republican Sinn Fein in west Belfast yesterday. The device was found by a member of staff as they opened the premises on the Falls Road yesterday morning.
22 July 2002
Loyalist paramilitary group claim murder of Catholic
The Red Hand Defenders have claimed that they murdered a Catholic man in north Belfast on Sunday night. The man, who has been named as 19-year-old Gerard Lawlor, was shot as he walked alone on Flora Road in the north of the city.
06 September 2001
Children greeted with whistles on fourth day of school siege
The fourth day of the loyalist siege of Holy Cross Girl’s Primary School has passed off relatively peacefully.
29 August 2001
Nationalists seek a review of the loyalist ceasefire
Northern Ireland Secretary of State Dr John Reid is facing renewed calls to review the status of the loyalist ceasefire.
12 December 2001
Stobie murder claimed by Red Hand Defenders
Former loyalist police agent William Stobie, who had been recently been acquitted of charges brought against him over the murder of solicitor Pat Finucane, has been shot dead in north Belfast. The Red Hand Defenders, a cover name which has been used in the past for the UDA and UFF, has claimed responsibility for his murder.
14 March 2017
Carrickfergus Shooting Believed To Be Linked to Loyalist Feud
Police believe a shooting in Carrickfergus is linked to a loyalist feud in the area. A man, aged in his 40s, is being treated in hospital after being shot in the neck in the Pinewood Avenue area at around 2.15pm on Monday, 13 March. The gunman is thought to have fled the scene on foot.
15 September 2017
Man Arrested Over Larne Incidents
A man has been arrested in connection with a number of incidents in Larne. The 23-year-old suspect has been detained on suspicion of attempted murder, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, hijacking and aggravated vehicle taking. A car was hijacked and shots fired at a property in Co Antrim on Monday, 11 September.
19 June 2018
Soldier Charged Over Aidan McAnespie Murder
A soldier has been charged in relation to the shooting a man in Tyrone in 1988. Aidan McAnespie, 23, was killed at an Army checkpoint in Aughnacloy. The Public Prosecution Service (PPS) has said it intends to prosecute a former Grenadier Guardsman for gross negligence manslaughter.
23 October 2017
Man Arrested Over Murder Of Co Tyrone Woman
A man has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of Charlotte Murray. She disappeared five years ago and was reported missing in May 2013. Police believe she was murdered. Her body has never been found.
23 October 2017
Appeal Issued Over Murder Of Anne O'Neill
Police are appealing for information over the murder of Anne O'Neill. The 51-year-old died after sustaining head injuries at a house on Ardmore Avenue in Finaghy on Saturday, 21 October. Police have been granted additional time to question two men, aged 23 and 27.
16 October 2017
Woman Stabbed In South Belfast
A woman, aged in her 20s, has been stabbed in south Belfast. The incident happened in the Balfour Avenue area at around 12.45pm on Sunday, 15 October. The victim had to be treated in hospital, however she has since been released. Police are treating the attack as attempted murder and a 28-year-old man has been arrested.
12 October 2017
Murder Investigation Launched After Woman Dies In Co Fermanagh Crash
Police have launched a murder investigation following the death of a woman in a road traffic collision in Co Fermanagh. A woman, aged in her 20s, was killed in a crash between Lisnaskea and Derrylin on Saturday night, 07 October. Another woman and a man also sustained injuries in the collision and are being treated in hospital.
12 October 2017
Body Of Murder Victim May Have Lay Undiscovered For Over Two Years
The body of a woman who is believed to have been murdered may have lain undiscovered for over two years. 68-year-old Marie Conlon was found dead at a flat in the Larkspur Rise area of west Belfast last Friday, 05 October. A 23-year-old man was arrested and remains in police custody.