28/06/2007

Caravan park owner dies after drinking cocaine

The owner of a County Down caravan park died after drinking a mixture of cocaine and water over a six-hour period, an inquest has heard.

Rodney Gray, 33 had started to put the Class A drug into his drink after he had complained of a blocked nose, his widow Kathryn told Belfast Coroner’s Court.

“He used to snort it. It was only recently he swallowed,” she said.

The court also heard the father of three had been using the drug for four or five months, to try and relax from the stress and pressure of running the site in Millisle.

On the night of his death in August 2006, his arms and legs began to shake and his eyes glazed over. He then lay on the couple’s bed in an attempt to overcome the reaction, and at one stage embraced Mrs Gray, she said.

However, when he started to foam at the mouth and his skin changed colour an ambulance was called. His wife unsuccessfully attempted to resuscitate him.

Coroner John Lecky said he had never heard of the cocaine being swallowed with water, and asked for any possible explanation for the unusual method.

She replied, saying she also thought it was strange, and added: “He was in the middle of a lot of work to an area of the caravan park; there was an anniversary party the following Saturday and there was a lot to be done.”

Mr Lecky also said there was no evidence that Mr Gray had suffered an adverse reaction before.

“Although it’s known to be taken for recreational purposes, it’s a high risk activity and death would not be unexpected, even though the person might have taken cocaine without any problems on previous occasions,” he said.

The Coroner concluded that the cause of death had been poisoning by cocaine.

(JM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

20 March 2020
Moy Park Recruiting Hundreds Of Temporary Staff
Hundreds of jobs have been made available at Moy Park sites across Northern Ireland as the firm works to fulfil demand from shoppers. The poultry company has seen a sharp increase in demand as grocery retail sales soar amid the coronavirus outbreak.
20 March 2020
Other News In Brief
Covid 19: Nine New Cases Confirmed In NI Nine new cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Northern Ireland. The figure brings the total to 86 as of 2pm on Friday 20 March. One person has lost their life to the virus. The patient, who was elderly and had underlying medical conditions, passed away at a hospital in greater Belfast.
18 March 2020
Man Attacked With Hammers & Knives In Co L'Derry
A man has been hospitalised for treatment after he was assaulted by up to seven masked assailants in Magherafelt, Co L'Derry. The gang forced their way into the home in Ashgrove Park at around 9.20pm on Tuesday 17 March. It's reported the victim was attacked with hammers and knives before his attackers fled in a dark-coloured BMW.
30 January 2020
Bangor Death Not Treated As Suspicious
The post-mortem examination of a man found dead in a garden in Bangor has revealed that his death was not suspicious. Police have ruled out foul play following the fatality in Bangor's Crochan Court on Tuesday 28 January.
28 January 2020
Ulster Museum Mummy's Cause Of Death Revealed
Experts have revealed the cause of death of the famous ancient Egyptian mummy on display at Belfast's Ulster Museum. Takabuti's life ended violently, a research team has found, as she died following a knife attack. The findings were made public on the 185th anniversary of her unwrapping in 1835.