24/10/2007

Quinn Post Mortem Completed

The results of the post mortem just completed on the south Armagh man who died after a brutal beating from a masked gang are not yet being made public, a Gardaí spokesperson has confirmed.

However, the 21-year-old, who died after being attacked with iron bars at a remote barn in County Monaghan on Saturday, is known to have suffered a barbaric attack.

As final arrangements for the victim to be buried from his family home are made, details of the fatal attack have emerged.

Paul Quinn is believed to have screamed for mercy as his killers broke virtually every bone in his body to leave him almost unrecognisable.

The lorry driver's cries for help became fainter and fainter as he was bludgeoned with iron bars and pickaxe handles in a shed near the border.

Mr Quinn, 21, from Cullyhanna, south Armagh, was lured across the border to farm buildings near Castleblayney, where he was battered to death.

Friends who were first used to lure him to his death and then were separated from him after the abduction have revealed how they listened in horror as he died, according to family friends.

One said: "They could hear him screaming, pleading and begging.

"They heard a voice say 'you know who rules this place now'. They shouted 'can you hear your friend squealing?'

"They heard his voice getting weaker and weaker. Then they couldn't hear him any more but the beating kept going on."

Before his sadistic killing he is understood to have clashed with others in the area over fuel laundering and racketeering.

It has also been claimed he was ordered to get out of the country and allegations by his family that an IRA gang were to blame would, if proven true, inflict serious damage on Northern Ireland's coalition government involving the DUP and Sinn Fein.

Meanwhile, a senior PSNI detective has now travelled to Castleblaney to liaise with Gardaí officers.

A PSNI spokesman said police received a request for assistance in connection with the investigation: "The PSNI will continue to cooperate with and support the Garda investigation over the coming days and provide as much assistance as is required," he said.

(BMcC)

See: Gardaí Appeals For Help In Quinn Killing

www.4ni.co.uk/northern_ireland_news.asp?id=67444




Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

11 March 2020
PSNI See Rise In Fraudulent Phone Calls
Members of the public are urged to remain vigilant in the face of rising numbers of fraudulent telephone calls. The PSNI said older people are at a heightened risk of falling victim to over the phone scams.
23 March 2020
Man Charged Over Ballymena Murder
A 51 year-old man has been charged with the murder of businessman Inayat Shah in Ballymena, Co Antrim. Mr Shah, a 67 year-old guesthouse owner, died from injuries sustained during an incident on the Galgorm Road at around 3.30pm on Saturday afternoon, 21 March. The accused will appear before Coleraine Magistrates Court today, Monday 23 March.
01 November 2012
Quinns Due Back In Court
Sean Quinn and his son are due back in a Dublin court later as the inquiry continues as to whether or not the former billionaires have complied with court orders. Sean Quinn was once the richest man in Ireland, but declared himself bankrupt last year.
15 April 2011
Quinn Barred From Own Insurance Firm
A leading Irish entrepreneur is to loose control of the insurance business he personally founded after it ran into financial problems. Sean Quinn and his family will no longer have any role in the management of the Quinn Group following a restructure.
23 October 2008
Quinn Family Meet Gardaí Boss
Relatives of murdered Co Armagh man, Paul Quinn are meeting Gardaí Commissioner Fachtna Murphy (pictured) in Dublin today to discuss the investigation into the murder of the 21-year-old last year. The Quinns, who will be accompanied by SDLP Deputy Leader Alisdair McDonnell, are also due to meet Irish TDs from the various political parties.