27/09/2002

400 jobs go in Belfast and Carrickfergus

It has been a poor day for the local economy with the announcement that a total of 375 jobs are to be lost at two major companies.

Staff at Shorts where hit with the news that 240 jobs are to go at the east Belfast site. This brings to almost 1,000 the number of people who have lost their jobs at the company in the past 12 months.

In a statement, Vice-President and General Manager of Bombardier Aerospace Northern Ireland, Michael Ryan expressed his "regret" at the move. He said that the cuts were necessary due to the "continuing challenges in the aviation market".

He added: "We are ensuring that a strong integrated design and manufacturing capability is retained here in order to maintain our competitiveness and to be ready for the upturn in the market when it comes."

Mr Ryan repeated Bombardier's position – which it expressed at the last round of job cuts – that Belfast is "a core part of Bombardier’s aerospace business".

The jobs cull is not exclusive to Northern Ireland as a total of 1,980 employees, including 20% of management, are to be laid off at facilities in Canada, the US and the UK, beginning in October 2002.

Only three weeks ago, Shorts announced 461 jobs losses and blamed the cuts on the "reduction in our production activity caused by the effects on our customers of the world economic downturn and the impact of September 11th". A spokesman went on to say that Shorts would still have "major involvement" in the Global 5000 and Learjet 40 aircraft.

However, there was no such comfort this time round, as Bombardier also said that it planned to "temporarily" cut back production on some of its aircraft programmes in Belfast, where business aircraft component manufacturing will be affected.

Elsewhere, Getty Communications has announced that 135 jobs are to go following the closure of its Carrickfergus factory.

Managing director Brian Getty blamed "continuous operating losses" which made it "unlikely that a viable business could be sustained".

Commenting on the news, the Alliance Party's East Antrim assembly member, Sean Neeson, said: "Once again, a local business that has been bought over by a multinational company is losing out because of loss of profits elsewhere in the company. It's a big blow for Carrickfergus."

Mr Neeson added that he will be meeting with Enterprise Minister Sir Reg Empey on Tuesday to discuss the impact of the closure.

The firm is to begin a 90-day consultation period when it will explore alternatives to closure.

(GMcG)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

09 August 2019
Other News In Brief
Coleraine Woman Convicted Of £11k Benefit Fraud A Coleraine woman has been convicted of benefit fraud after she claimed over £11,000 she was not entitled to. Yvonne Holmes, aged 50, of The Crescent, Coleraine was found to have claimed Employment and Support Allowance and Housing Benefit totalling £11,163, while failing to declare employment.
07 August 2019
Three New Leisure Centres To Open In Belfast
A number of senior appointments have been made as preparations continue for the opening of three new council funded leisure centres in Belfast. The Brook, Andersonstown and Lisnasharragh Leisure Centres will open under the 'Better' brand name early next year, expanding the provision of social enterprise GLL across the city.
19 August 2019
Child Assaulted In North Belfast
Police in north Belfast are seeking to identify a male suspect in relation to an assault on a child last month. The incident took place on Salisbury Avenue at approximately 7.35pm on Sunday 14 July. An 11-year-old child is believed to have been targeted.
12 August 2019
Council Task Force On Climate Change Launched
In a first for Belfast City Council, a newly established task force dedicated to climate change is set to meet today, Monday 12 August. The cross-party effort has been launched in the hope of putting climate change resilience firmly on the agenda through monthly meetings to monitor the challenges and risks facing the city.
13 June 2006
1,000 jobs to be created in Belfast
Around 1,000 jobs are to be created in Belfast, it has been announced. Indian company, ICICI OneSource, one of the country's largest business processing outsourcing (BPO) firms, is to open a call centre in the city, creating over 1,000 jobs over the next two-years.