01/05/2008

IRA Escapes Blame On Quinn Killing

Despite widespread, cross-border backing of claims by the family of a young man brutally beaten to death last year that the IRA was to blame, the body that monitors paramilitary activity has today said that the republican terror group was not responsible.

Paul Quinn, 21, died after being lured to a cattle shed in Co Monaghan last year and was beaten with iron bars and pick axe handles by a gang of masked men.

His parents said their son had previously been threatened by members of the IRA in south Armagh.

The Independent Monitoring Commission (IMC) has now published its latest report in which it says there was no evidence that the IRA was responsible.

The IMC said the killing was "clearly contrary to the instructions and strategy of the IRA leadership".

It said it was the result of local disputes and some members, or former IRA members, may have been involved.

However, the commission said there was no evidence that the IRA leadership was linked to the incident.

NI Secretary of State Shaun Woodward welcomed the assessment that the IRA remains committed to a political path, and also used the opportunity to call on loyalist paramilitary groups to begin the process of decommissioning weapons.

Sinn Fein has been consistently saying there was no IRA involvement and condemned the murder in public statements, but politicians, including Ulster Unionist peer, Lord Laird, named those responsible and laid the blame for the highly organised murder on the IRA.

Even an IMC spokesman at the time of the killing, John Grieve, linked the death to the IRA, when he said: "We do believe that those who were involved in the attack on him - in his brutal murder - included people who are members or former members or have associations with members or former members of the Provisional IRA."

Lord Laird said: "The IMC, south Armagh residents and numerous commentators all believe PIRA was behind the murder of Paul Quinn," he said at the time, noting that 20 guys in total, eight or nine of them with surgical gloves, getaway cars and a getaway van were involved.

See: Peer Insists Quinn Murder Was IRA

(BMcC)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

03 December 2020
Belfast City Council Seeks Views On Coronavirus Recovery Plans
The public are being urged to get involved in shaping Belfast's coronavirus recovery plans to help create a better future. Belfast City Council is gathering views from people across the city about how Covid-19 has impacted their communities and their priorities for the future.
26 November 2020
UHRW Calls For Public Inquiry Into La Mon Bombing
The Ulster Human Rights Watch (UHRW) has called for a Public Inquiry into the La Mon terrorist atrocity which killed 12 people and injured 23 more on 17 February 1978. In 2014, the then Secretary of State rejected calls for a Public Inquiry on grounds of insufficient evidence.
24 November 2020
Appeal For Information On Violent Incident In East Belfast
Police have issued an appeal for information on an incident in East Belfast last month that left two teenagers needing hospital treatment. It is understood that a group of male teenagers were involved in a violent incident on Orangefield Lane at around 7.45pm on Saturday 17 October.
06 November 2020
NI Fans To Return For Play-Off Final
The Irish Football Association has confirmed that fans will be permitted to attend Northern Ireland's UEFA Euro 2020 play-off final. Some 1060 members of the Green and White Army will head to Windsor Park next Thursday, 12 November, to watch Ian Baraclough's side take on Slovakia in the crucial play-off.
22 January 2002
Man found guilty of conspiring to cause Omagh Real IRA bomb
Dublin’s Special Criminal Court has found the only person charged in connection with the Omagh bombing guilty. Colm Murphy, 49, was found guilty of conspiring to cause the Omagh bomb by three judges sitting without a jury on Tuesday, January 23.