28/10/2008

Firework Boy's Hand May Have To Be Amputated

The police are investigating two separate incidents that have left a youth and a child injured.

The PSNI are investigating how a Co Down boy came to have a homemade 'firework' device - which exploded in his hand at the weekend - causing him severe injuries.

They suspect that someone older may have given it to him, or has even been offering them for sale in the area.

The 10-year-old boy lost four fingers from his right hand and could now face having it amputated after being involved in the accident.

The boy, from the Dromore area, is now in the Ulster Hospital where surgeons are battling to save his thumb and shockingly have said that if that can't be done, his "whole hand may have to be removed".
News Image
The incident happened last Saturday and the child's family circle are said to be in deep shock at his injuries.

A PSNI spokeswoman said yesterday: "At this stage the police cannot confirm if the firework was illegal.

"Investigations are continuing and police are following a number of lines of inquiry."

Meanwhile, in a separate incident, a teenage boy was hurt in an early morning petrol bomb attack in east Belfast when a firebomb was thrown through the ground floor window of a house in Elgin Street.

It happened at around 3am this morning.

The teenager suffered minor burns to his hand. Another was treated for the effects of breathing in smoke.

Police are investigating a motive but have appealed for the driver or occupants of an estate car that may have been in the area to contact them

(BMcC)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

13 March 2020
Arrest Over Armed Robbery Of Cash In Transit Van
A 32 year-old man has been arrested in connection with the armed robbery of a cash in transit delivery vehicle in Belfast City Centre. The suspect was detained following searches of three properties in the Divis area of west Belfast on Thursday night, 12 March. The incident occured in the Academy Street area at around 7.
12 March 2020
Cash Stolen In Co Down Burglary
A sum of cash has been stolen from a house in Portaferry, Co Down. Police are appealing for information following the burglary on Monday evening, 09 March. Entry was forced to the property in the Ballyblack Road area sometime between 2pm and 7pm that day. The owners returned to discover a quantity of money had been taken.
20 March 2020
Three Arrests As £300k Drugs Seized
Police say they have removed drugs worth over £300,000 from the streets of west Belfast. Three men, aged 33, 37 and 43 were arrested and a car was seized along with a further quantity of suspected class A and C drugs, cash and drug paraphernalia.
23 March 2020
Man Due In Court Over Co Down Burglary
Police have charged a 26 year-old man in connection with an aggravated burglary in Bangor, Co Down. A house in the Gray's Hill area was targeted on Saturday 11 January. The suspect is charged with aggravated burglary with intent to steal. He is due before Downpatrick Magistrates Court on Monday 23 March.
10 March 2020
Man Escapes Injury In Co Antrim Shooting
A man aged in his 40s has escaped injury after a shot was fired at his Co Antrim home. Police are appealing for information following the incident in the Orkney Drive area of Ballymena early on Monday morning, 09 March. A shot was fired at the house shortly after midnight, causing damage to a front window.