31/03/2009

Hoax Security Alerts Close School

Hundreds of Belfast school children have been sent home following a hoax security alert.

St Aidan's Primary School on the Springfield Road was closed after the discovery of a suspicious object on the Whiterock Road, which was later declared non-suspicious. Three hundred and fifty pupils were evacuated.

The Whiterock Road was closed at the junction with the Springfield Road and Glenalina Drive, all of which have now reopened.

Army technical officers examining an object at Ligoneil Road also said the alert was a hoax.

The road has been reopened between Mountainhill Road and Crumlin Road.

This morning's hoax alerts came after a series of disturbances across the city yesterday evening.

A number of key routes in and out of Belfast were affected.

It is thought dissident republicans were also behind several hijackings in predominantly nationalist areas.

First Minister Peter Robinson described those responsible for the activity as "beneath contempt".

Traffic later began moving again after police reopened the M1 Moira and Lurgan route, where a vehicle had been abandoned.
News Image
Security alerts near police stations at Tennant Street, North Queen Street, Kingsway and Blacks Road were all declared hoaxes, as were alerts on the Andersonstown Road and at the Stormont Hotel on the Upper Newtownards Road.

The Hillview Road in the Oldpark area of north Belfast was reopened, and the Upper Springfield Road was made passable after a burning hijacked lorry was extinguished.

Disruption was also caused by burnt out van on the Crumlin Road, close to Holy Cross church.

It is believed two car were also hijacked in the Kilwilkie area of Lurgan.

"Those who would try to destabilise and destroy Northern Ireland will fail. We won't be going back," said Mr Robinson.

He said those responsible would not succeed in "dragging Northern Ireland backwards".

"The criminal terrorists responsible for the series of bomb scares and hijackings have no support whatsoever in the community," said the DUP Leader.

North Belfast Sinn Féin Assemblywoman Carál Ní Chuilín said the culprits had "no strategy".

"These actions are wrong and counterproductive to anything that our communities want," she said.

"I would like the spokespeople of those behind these alerts to come forward and explain how this will in any way achieve a united Ireland."

(PR/BMcC)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

02 March 2018
Schools Closures Across NI
The Department of Education have published a list of all schools across that have confirmed they will be closed today, Friday 2nd March, 2018 due to the adverse weather conditions.
19 September 2018
Up To 100 Roads Closed As Storm Ali Hits NI
A growing number of roads across Northern Ireland are closed due to adverse weather conditions as a result of Storm Ali.
20 September 2018
Number Of Roads Remain Closed Following Storm Ali
A number of roads remain closed across Northern Ireland following the damage caused by Storm Ali. The following roads are still closed, however the Department for Infrastructure (DfI) is working to clear the obstructions along with its multiagency partners.
17 April 2009
Latest Bomb Alert Declared 'Hoax'
South Belfast is now returning to normal after a security alert was declared an elaborate hoax. A number of offices had been evacuated after the discovery of a suspicious object. It was found at Lower Crescent off the University Road on Friday morning. The street was closed to traffic for a time.
16 August 2019
'Difficult Winter For Many' As Power NI Ups Prices
An SDLP councillor has warned that low income families will be forced into fuel poverty due to a price hike introduced by Power NI. The energy provider will impose the 6% increase from the beginning of October, meaning the typical household customer can expect to be charged an extra £35 a year.