30/06/2009

South Belfast MLA Anna Lo Threatened

A Hong Kong-born Assemblywomen has said she will not be deterred by racist threats against her life.

South Belfast MLA Anna Lo (pictured) was told by police at the weekend that she is now a potential target for racist elements in the city.

Ms Lo, who is Northern Ireland's only elected representative from an ethnic minority, moved to live in the province over 30 years ago.

Earlier this month around 100 Romanians living in Ms Lo's constituency were forced out of their homes by a racist mob.

Ms Lo publicly condemned the acts of intimidation, which resulted in many of the victims fleeing Northern Ireland.

Speaking in the Assembly yesterday, Ms Lo said police believe her own home may now become a target for attacks.
News Image
The Alliance MLA said she will be taking steps to boost her personal security, after the PSNI received an anonymous tip off on Saturday.

Ms Lo also said she had also received hate mail in recent weeks, but insisted she will not be deflected from continuing to denounce attacks on the community.

"I'm not going to be deterred by these people," she said.

"If they think that they can stop me from speaking out against them or speaking for the vulnerable people, new ethnic minority communities or migrant workers they are mistaken."

Ms Lo advised anyone else who receives threats from racist elements - particularly those working with ethnic minority groups - to contact police.

"I also advise them to step up their security, but I would also call on them to carry on," she said.

"They're doing a very good job in supporting their communities, and they really need this support now."

A PSNI spokesman said they do not discuss the security arrangements of individuals.

(PR/BMcC)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

08 March 2019
25 Year Sentence For Man Who Attempted To Murder Police
A man guilty of attempting to murder police officers has been jailed for 25 years. The PSNI welcomed the sentencing of Sean McVeigh, 38, after he was convicted of planting a bomb under a police officer's car.
07 February 2019
Ian Ogle Investigation: Man Arrested At Heathrow
Police investigating the brutal murder of east Belfast community worker Ian Ogle have arrested a man on suspicion of murder. The 33-year-old was detained at Heathrow Airport on Wednesday evening, 06 February, before being transferred to Musgrave Police Station in Belfast.
19 February 2018
Man Arrested After Pipe Bomb Found In North Belfast
A 27-year-old man has been arrested after a pipe bomb was found in north Belfast. The PSNI received reports that an object had been thrown in the North Queen Street area on Sunday night, 18 February. Police declared the object as a "viable pipe bomb-type device". It has been removed for further examination. The roads have been re-opened.
09 April 2019
New Campaign To Help People Alert Police Without Speaking
A function that enables 999 callers to inform police of an emergency without making a sound has been highlighted in a campaign by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).
28 September 2017
Police Use Taser Stun-Gun On Man Armed With Machete
Police had to use a Taser stun-gun during the arrest of a man in Newtownabbey on Wednesday, 27 September. The PSNI received reports that a man with a machete entered a shop on the Mill Road at a around 4.50pm.