26/03/2002

Fire fighters take their case to Health Minister’s door

Northern Ireland’s fire fighters have brought their concerns about ongoing attacks on their staff to the attention of the Stormont Health Minister Bairbre de Brún.

The Fire brigades Union (FBU), supported by Laganvalley UUP assembly member Billy Bell held a meeting with Ms de Brún late on Tuesday afternoon to highlight the serious and escalating nature of attacks on staff and appliances.

Speaking before the meeting FBU spokesman Jim Barbour said: “These ongoing attacks are getting worse. There were 800 attacks last year and it’s just not acceptable anymore.”

Mr Barbour said they were meeting the Minister to discuss firstly the possibility of launching a series of outreach initiatives, which would educate community groups about the fire service. The second issue to be discussed Mr Barbour said, involved asking the Minister to support the fire services bid for a much needed cash injection.

In recent months the UK Department of Transport, Local Government and Regions gave fire services in Scotland €18 million and €53 million to England and Wales. The cash boost came about due to the efforts of a new government think-tank called the ‘New Dimension Group’ which was established to build up emergency services procedures in case of a terrorist attack like September 11. Northern Ireland has not received any such money according to Mr Barbour.

Mr Barbour said fire services in Northern Ireland, which were much depleted and had undergone sustained attacks over the past year, needed this money to build up services “immediately”.

Mr Bell said he was giving his support as an assembly member because he felt, like Mr Barbour, that Northern Ireland should get a cut of this money from Westminster’s purse. He said: “If there was an attack on Sellafield, the impact would effect Northern Ireland’s shores just as much as areas like Cumbria.”

Mr Bell also said he was concerned about the attacks on the fire brigade and said he was going to ask the Minister what she intended to do to improve the situation. (AMcE)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

17 April 2019
Other News In Brief
Man Arrested By Police Probing INLA Activities Detectives investigating the activities of the dissident republican INLA group have arrested a 49-year-old man. He is being detained under the Terrorism Act. The arrest follows a search of a property in Strabane this morning. The man is being questioned at Musgrave Police Station.
17 April 2019
Trading Standards Probe Baggage Sizers At NI Airports
The Department for Economy's Trading Standards Service (TSS) has been inspecting the size of baggage sizers used by airlines at each of the three airports in Northern Ireland.
09 April 2019
Other News In Brief
Prince Charles & Duchess Camilla Visit Northern Ireland The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall are in Northern Ireland today, 09 April, to attend the reopening of Hillsborough Castle. The County Down site is the Queen's official residence and home to the secretary of state and recently underwent a £20 million makeover.
09 April 2019
Cost Of NI Locum Doctors Almost Trebles To £83m
The spiralling cost of paying for locum doctors in Northern Ireland has put the health system under serious financial pressure, according to a report by the Northern Ireland Audit Office. Total expenditure has almost trebled to £83 million over the last seven years.
15 April 2019
Other News In Brief
Titanic Commemoration Service Held At Belfast City Hall A service to remember the lives lost in the Titanic tragedy has taken place today, Monday 15 April, at the memorial grounds of Belfast City Hall. 1,512 men, women, and children died on the RMS Titanic's maiden voyage on this date in 1912, 107 years ago.