07/09/2009

'Give Blood', Says Minister

There's been a life-saving plea for NI people to donate blood.

Stormont Health Minister Michael McGimpsey has himself given blood and encouraged others to do the same.

The Minister said this showed just how easy it is to save a life through his support for the current campaign to increase the number of people in Northern Ireland that give blood.

"Blood donation is vital for the delivery of health care, saving and enhancing lives.

"We all know someone who has benefited from donated blood through emergency surgery, for routine operations, in the treatment of cancer, or childbirth.

"Around 500 patients in Northern Ireland need life saving blood each week.

"To ensure an adequate supply to our hospitals, we need 300 people to give blood every day," he said.

"There is of course a heightened importance for people to donate blood ahead of an anticipated surge in swine flu cases in the autumn and winter.

"This would rule out those normally healthy regular donors who would not be eligible to donate until fully recovered from the illness," he continued.

"With an increasing demand for blood and only 6% of Northern Ireland's population currently donating, that leaves 94% of the eligible population that do not donate," he said.

"I would urge all eligible people across the province to consider becoming a blood donor."

Welcoming the support, Charles Kinney from the Northern Ireland Blood Transfusion Service said: "I would like to thank the Minister for again coming back to donate and for encouraging new donors to come forward and regular donors to keep coming back, to meet the current and future needs of patients.

"I would appeal to everyone to take the Minister's lead and come along and donate blood."

Paul McElkerney, Donor Recruitment Manager added: "Current projections indicate an increased demand of around 1% from hospital compared to last year.

"Whilst this may appear to be quite small, the reality is that it will require over 500 extra donations before the end of this year."

There are almost 1,000 blood donation sessions at 240 locations throughout the province, and most people aged between the age of 17 and 65 can give blood for the first time and continue to donate three times a year throughout their life.

(BMcC/GK)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

14 January 2020
Justice Minister Condemns West Belfast Shooting
Justice Minister Naomi Long has demanded an end to paramilitary style attacks in the wake of a shooting in west Belfast that left a man with life changing injuries. An incident in the Burnaby Walk area at around 6pm on Monday 13 January left a 39 year-old man with gunshot wounds to his knee and ankle.
15 January 2020
Communities Minister: Casement Park Is A Key Priority
Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has identified the completion of Casement Park as a "key priority" for her department. Deirdre Hargey MLA met with Ulster GAA officials at the west Belfast site to discuss furthering the project. Minister Hargey said she is determined to see the project started as soon as possible.
14 January 2020
Other News In Brief
DUP's Edwin Poots Welcomed To Agriculture Ministry The Ulster Farmers' Union (UFU) has welcomed the appointment of DUP MLA Edwin Poots as the Minister for the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).
14 January 2020
'Breakthrough' £30m Pay Offer For Health Unions
A 'breakthrough' offer for salary parity has been tabled to health unions in Northern Ireland, the Health Minister has confirmed. Robin Swann said the offer comes after some very difficult days for local health services as he set out the terms to the newly formed Assembly.
01 September 2016
Lifetime Blood Ban Donation Lifted For Gay Men In NI
A lifetime blood ban on the donation of blood by gay men in Northern Ireland has been lifted today, 01 September. NI Health Minister Michelle O'Neill announced the policy change in June this year.