07/01/2010

Ross Leaving BBC

Jonathan Ross will not renew his contract with the BBC when it expires, the presenter announced today.

The host of the self titled Friday Night With said the decision was not about money.

It had earlier been reported Mr Ross was dismayed at the BBC's decision to slash his £6m a year salary.

In addition to ending his chat show, the 49-year-old said he will also step down from his Radio 2 programme and no longer present a film review show from July.

He will continue continue to host the Baftas and other specials for the broadcaster.
News Image
Today Mr Ross said in a statement: "I signed my current contract with the BBC having turned down more lucrative offers from other channels because it was where I wanted to be and – as I have said before – would happily have stayed there for any fee they cared to offer, but there were other considerations.

"I would like to make it perfectly clear that no negotiations ever took place and that my decision is not financially motivated."

In 2008, he was suspended after making a series of phone calls to actor Andrew Sachs on Russell Brand's Radio 2 show.

(PR/BMcC)

Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

31 October 2008
Ross Suspended Over Prank Phone Call Furore
Jonathan Ross has been given a three-month ban from all BBC broadcasting for 12 weeks, amid controversy surrounding prank phone calls made to 'Fawlty Towers' actor Andrew Sachs, on Russell Brand's radio show.
09 February 2011
BBC Radio To 'Extend Its Distinctive Appeal'
A BBC Trust review has concluded that BBC Radio 3, Radio 4 and Radio 7 are much loved and highly valued by the millions of licence fee payers that listen every week.
27 November 2003
Bectu issues slams sale of BBC Technology
The BBC are to sell their wholly-owned commercial subsidiary BBC Technology, subject to final approval by DCMS Secretary of State Tessa Jowell.
29 April 2004
More peak time arts, current affairs and documentaries, say BBC
The BBC has promised to air more arts, current affairs and documentaries during peak time viewing. Publishing the Corporation's 'Statements of Programme Policy for 2004/2005' the BBC has underscored a commitment to reduce 'make-over' drama programmes.
16 March 2012
BBC To Move Forward With Paid Download Service
The BBC's director of archive content Roly Keating has said viewers are “very comfortable” with the corporations plans to launch an iTunes-style download service.