Racist Thugs Sentenced

Three men and a youth who rampaged along an Ilford road damaging cars and a mosque and shouting racial abuse have this week been jailed.

The trio had previously been found guilty of violent disorder at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

Elliot Jones, 20, of no fixed address - sentenced to three-and-a-half years and Matthew Stephenson, 18, of no fixed address - sentenced to three-and-a-half years - with Rocky Beale, 19, of Purleigh Avenue, Woodford - sentenced to three-and-a-half years.

Harry Deluca, 16, of no fixed address - was sentenced to two years.

On the night of the offence, on 24 March 2011, some of the defendants had been drinking.

As they walked along Eastern Avenue, Ilford, towards the Redbridge roundabout they started damaging property and cars.

They kicked fences and threw bricks, from a pallet left for building work, at five vehicles, causing damage and smashing windscreens.

As they passed Redbridge Islamic Centre they used bricks to smash the glass doors.

They went inside and began shouting racial abuse.

One of the victims, a 42-year-old man, came outside and gave chase. One of the suspects stopped and threw a brick at him, cutting his head.

Police had been called and arrived at the scene to quickly detain those responsible.

The youth spat at a Police Constable as he was arrested and the defendants continued to shout racial abuse even while handcuffed.

All were subsequently charged.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Fiona Robinson, from Ilford police, said: "This is a brilliant result for the victims of this incident and those affected by it.

"These sentences send out a clear message to those involved and anybody thinking of getting involved in this type of crime that racial abuse and thuggish behaviour will not be tolerated in Redbridge borough or within the Metropolitan Police district."


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

04 January 2012
Lawrence Murderers To Be Sentenced As Juveniles
The men convicted of the murder of teenager Stephen Lawrence 18 years ago are to be sentenced as juveniles after being convicted on Tuesday afternoon. An Old Bailey jury found Gary Dobson and David Norris guilty during the high profile case that has led to a number of legal precedents.