Decapitation Brothers Jailed For Life

Two brothers who shot a man dead, decapitated him and set his body on fire have been jailed.

The body of John Grainger, 33, was found in Wellington Street in Stockport on January 26.

His head was found by firefighters.

At Manchester Crown Court, Joseph Jenkins, 30, who denied murder, was ordered to serve a minimum of 32 years.

Anthony Jenkins, 34, pleaded guilty and must serve a minimum of 30 years.

Mr Grainger was hit on the head with a hammer, stabbed in the legs then shot in the knee and in the head at Joseph Jenkins's flat in Covent Gardens, Stockport.

The court heard he was decapitated with an electric jigsaw.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said the brothers had been stopped by officers in the area because they were acting suspiciously.

Anthony Jenkins was found to have six shotgun cartridges in his pocket and blood on his trainers.

Senior investigating officer Andy Tattersall said the brothers' attack on John Grainger was "horrifically violent and cruel" and "nothing short of macabre".


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

12 March 2012
Police In Fatal Shooting Should Be "Brought To Justice"
Anthony Grainger’s girlfriend, Gail Hadfield, has called for the police officers that shot him dead to be “brought to justice.” Described as a “dedicated father” who did not deserve to die, My Grainger was shot shot and killed by armed police on March 3 when he stopped in a stolen car.
07 October 2008
Teenagers Appeal 'Goth Murder' Sentence
A gang of teenagers, convicted of carrying out a vicious attack on a couple, resulting in the death of a 20-year-old woman, are to appeal against their sentences. Two teenagers were found guilty of the murder of Sophie Lancaster, 20, last summer in Stubbylee Park in Bacup, Lancashire.
20 April 2005
Billie-Jo murder retrial starts
The retrial of Sion Jenkins, the man accused of murdering his foster daughter Billie-Jo, has begun at the Old Bailey with graphic descriptions of how the teenager died. The teenager died after being hit on the head in the family home in Hastings, East Sussex on February 15, 1997.
16 January 2014
GMP Chief To Face Charge Over Shooting Death
The Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police (GMP), Sir Peter Fahy, is to face a charge in connection with the death of an unarmed man in Cheshire. A GMP officer shot and killed Anthony Grainger (36) on 03 March 2012 when a car he was in was stopped during an operation.
10 August 2010
Sion Jenkins Compensation Bid Fails
A former teacher who was jailed for six years for the murder of his foster daughter Billie-Jo Jenkins before being acquitted, has been refused compensation. Sion Jenkins had been seeking up to £500,000 in damages, but the case has been rejected by the Ministry of Justice.