Homes Evacuated After Gas Explosion

Up to 100 homes have been evacuated after a factory fire caused a gas explosion.

The fire broke out at the industrial site in the Radcliffe area of Greater Manchester at around 21.45 pm on Thursday night.

Fire crews were called to the scene as the flames began to spread.

A gas mains pipe in one of the properties exploded which forced workers to evacuate properties close by as a precaution.

No injuries were reported.

National Grid workers are helping fire fighters to isolate the gas pipe.

Gas cylinders have also been removed from the scene.


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

26 August 2014
200 Homes Still Without Gas After Water Leak
Around 200 homes in Wales are still without gas after a burst water pipe flooded gas lines last Thursday. Wales and West Utilities have said that some 150,000 litres of water has been pumped from gas pipes since last Thursday, with 540 of the 755 homes affected by the leak, now reconnected.
08 May 2009
Heroic Tyne Firemen Honoured
Two Tyne and Wear firefighters are to be recognised for their bravery at a special ceremony today. Andrew Nelson and Allan Richardson will be presented with the Chief Fire Officer's Commendations for brave and meritorious conduct after saving a man's life. The men took part in a dramatic rescue in the early hours of 4 February.
31 August 2006
Firefighters launch four-day strike
More than 1,000 firefighters across Merseyside have begun a four-day strike in protest over planned job cuts. Another four-day stoppage is scheduled to begin two hours after the first one ends.
31 July 2008
Centrica Posts £1 Million In Profits - To Consumers Anger
British Gas owner Centrica has posted half-year profits of almost £1 billion - much to the anger of consumer groups. Centrica maintain that it has been "absolutely necessary" to raise household gas prices as profits were down 20% in the first six months of this year to £992 million - down from £1.23 billion in 2007.
18 November 2014
Man And Daughter Survive Suspected Gas Explosion
A 36-year-old man and his 4-year-old daughter have survived a suspected gas explosion at their home in Southampton. Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said the end-of-terrace house in Howards Grove, in the Shirley area, was destroyed in an explosion at about 01:30 on Tuesday morning.