Men Plead Not Guilty To Murder Of Lee Rigby

Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale have pleaded not guilty to the murder of Lee Rigby, the solider killed in a knife attack in Woolwich, south-east London in May.

28-year-old Adebolajo, of Romford, east London, and 22-year-old Adebowale, of Greenwich, south-east London, both died the murder charge alongside a charge of attempting to murder a police officer on May 22, and a charge of planning to murder a police office on or before that date.

Fusilier Lee Rigby was murdered as he made his way back to barracks in Woolwich.

It is reported that Adebolajo has asked to be known as Mujaahid Abu Hamza in court, and Adebowale wants to be called Ismail Ibn Abdullah.

The men appeared via videolink from HMP Belmarsh.

A trial date has been provisionally set for 18 November.


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

29 November 2013
Lee Rigby Murder Accused Trial Underway
The trial of Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale for the murder of soldier Lee Rigby has gotten underway at the Old Bailey in London. Lee Rigby was murdered on 22 May as he made his way back to his barracks in Woolwich.
27 February 2014
Life Without Parole For Lee Rigby Murder 'Mastermind'
Michael Adebolajo has been sentenced to life without the possibility of parole for being the "mastermind" of the murder of Fusilier Lee Rigby. His co-defendant, Michael Adebowale, was jailed for a minimum sentence of 45 years for the same attack in May 2013.
26 February 2014
Lee Rigby Murderers To Be Sentenced
Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale are in court to be sentenced for the murder of soldier Lee Rigby. Fusilier Rigby was murdered in Woolwich in May last year as he made he was back to his barracks.
25 November 2014
Lee Rigby Murder Could Not Have Been Prevented - ICS Report
A parliamentary inquiry has found that the murder of Fusilier Lee Rigby could not have been prevented, despite intelligence on the two men who killed the 25-year-old.
04 February 2015
Murder Investigation Launches After Man Is Shot Dead In London
Detectives have launched a murder investigation after a 38-year-old man was shot dead in London on Tuesday evening. The London Ambulance Service called the poise to Vine Lane at around 7pm. The victim was found with gunshot wounds, however he was pronounced dead at the scene at approximately 8pm.