London bomb suspect has ‘no links’ to terror groups

The suspect arrested in Rome in connection with the failed bomb attacks in London on July 21 has no links to large international terrorist organisations, according to Italian police.

The head of Italy’s anti-terrorist police, Carlo De Stefano, said that 27-year-old Hussain Osman – also known as Hamdi Issac – was likely to have been part of an ‘ad hoc’ group, rather than a structured terrorist organisation.

It has also emerged that Osman, who is believed to have attempted to detonate a device on a Tube train travelling to Shepherd’s Bush, used a false name and nationality in order to apply for asylum in Britain. He claimed to be from Somalia, when in fact he was born in Ethiopia.

British police alerted Italian police when they suspected that Osman had fled the UK on a Eurostar train on July 26.

Italian police conducted checks on Italian phone numbers that had previously been in contact with Osman, which led to his arrest in the suburb of Tor Pignatarra.

Two of Osman’s brothers have also been arrested by Italian police.

British police have submitted a formal extradition request for the return of Osman to the UK.

Italian judges have 60 days to decide whether or not to extradite him.

All four main suspects in the July 21 attempted bomb attacks have now been arrested.

Yasin Hassan Omar, 24, who had been wanted in connection with the attempted explosion on a Tube near Warren Street, was arrested last Wednesday in Birmingham. Police have been granted extra time to question him regarding the attacks.

Muktar Said Ibrahim, 27 – suspected of attempting to blow up the Number 26 bus in Hackney - and Ramzi Mohammed, who is suspected of trying to detonate a device on Tube near Oval Street station, were both arrested at a flat in North Kensington on Friday.

The attempted bomb attacks came two weeks after the four suicide bomb attacks on three Tube trains and a bus, which killed 52 people on July 7.

Police are continuing to investigate both incidents, but they have played down speculation that they are hunting for a possible third suicide bomb cell, planning more attacks.

However, British Transport police have remained on high alert since the July 7 attacks.


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

16 March 2004
Terror attack on London 'inevitable' says Met chief
Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir John Stevens has warned that a terrorist attack on London is "inevitable". Speaking at a joint press conference with London Mayor Ken Livingstone in London's City Hall today, Sir John said that security services had trebled their efforts in an attempt to foil a possible attack.
12 November 2014
Release Of Police Killer Described As 'Sickening'
The release of a man convicted of killing three unarmed police officers in 1966 has been described as "sickening". Harry Roberts, now aged 78, has been released from prison after serving 48 years for 1966 murders of three unarmed police officers in Shepherd's Bush in west London.
29 August 2014
Major Police Hunt Launched After Boy Taken From Hospital
A major police hunt has begun after a five-year-old boy with a brain tumour, was taken by his family without consent from Southampton General Hospital. Police said that Ashya King was taken from the hospital by Brett King, 51, and Naghemeh King, 45, on Thursday. It is thought he may have been taken to France.
07 May 2014
'Skull Cracker' In Custody In London
Kent Police, in partnership with officers from the Metropolitan Police Service, have arrested two men in East London on suspicion of conspiracy to commit armed robbery. On 3 May, Kent Police began a search for Michael Wheatley, 55, who had failed to return to HMP Standford Hill after being released on temporary licence.
11 June 2013
Riot Police Deployed As G8 Protesters Occupy Former Police Station
Some 100 riot police have been deployed in central London as protestors take to the streets to demonstrate ahead on the G8 summit being held in Northern Ireland next week. Officers were sent to Soho, where protesters are thought to have occupied a former police station on Beak Street.