Police appeal for information in baby death arson attack

Police have issued an appeal for information after a baby died and his mother was injured in an arson attack on a house in Newcastle.

Four-month-old Alexander Gallon died in hospital, following the attack at the house in Cowgate, Newcastle on Sunday night.

His mother, 21-year-old Danielle Wails, was also taken to hospital, suffering from minor injuries, but was later released.

Police said that Miss Wails was at home with Alexander on Sunday night, when two men, dressed in black, entered the house. They punched and kicked Danielle and she passed out. When she came round, she found that she was in the living room and the sofa had been set on fire.

Danielle, whose hands had been bound with telephone cord, screamed for help, but neighbours were unable to break down the door. She eventually managed to dial 999 on the phone with her tongue.

Fire crews arrived and broke down the door and rescued Danielle and Alexander, who was found lying on the living room floor. They were both taken to Newcastle General Hospital, where Alexander was later pronounced dead.

Miss Wails is understood to be staying with relatives.

At a press conference on Tuesday, police said that a murder inquiry had been launched and appealed for information from the public. They said that the attackers had to have known that there was a baby in the house. They said that Alexander had been in the same room as his mother when the fire was started and he had been crying during the attack.

Speaking at the press conference, Detective Superintendent Barbara Franklin of Northumbria Police, said: “This is a horrific incident, which has left a baby dead and a young mother injured. It’s difficult to comprehend the wickedness of someone who could do such a thing.”

Police said that the inquiry was in its early stages and that it was too soon to establish a motive for the attack.

A post mortem was due to be carried out on Alexander on Tuesday.

It was reported that Miss Wails had only been living at the house, owned by the St Cuthbert’s Care charity, which houses vulnerable young mothers, for a few weeks.

On Tuesday afternoon, police confirmed that a woman in her early 20s, reported not to be the mother, had been arrested and bailed in connection with the enquiry.


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

05 October 2006
Review launched following Israeli embassy police row
Metropolitan Police chief Sir Ian Blair has ordered an inquiry after a Muslim police officer was excused from guarding the Israeli embassy in London.
26 May 2010
Severe Burns For Brighton Beach Baby
A five-month-old baby from London suffered 20% burns over his body while his mother relaxed on a beach beside him. The baby was taken to the Royal Sussex Hospital for treatment after he was spotted by a police officer on a beach in Brighton on Sunday, in temperatures of 25 degrees.
06 September 2013
Convicted Police Murderer Dale Cregan Moves To Secure Hospital
The man jailed for the murder of two police officers has been moved from Strangeways prison in Manchester to the maximum-security Ashworth Hospital. 30-year-old Dale Cregan was given a whole-life sentence for the murders of PC Fiona Bone and PC Nicola Hughes as well as father and son David and Mark Short.
09 April 2009
Police Watchdog To Question G20 Officer
A police watchdog is to interview the officer thought to be shown on video pushing a man at the G20 summit protests, who later died. The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) confirmed the officer identified himself to investigators on Wednesday. A Metropolitan Police spokesman said no officers had been suspended.
12 November 2014
Release Of Police Killer Described As 'Sickening'
The release of a man convicted of killing three unarmed police officers in 1966 has been described as "sickening". Harry Roberts, now aged 78, has been released from prison after serving 48 years for 1966 murders of three unarmed police officers in Shepherd's Bush in west London.