Suspect device dealt with in London

Police have discovered and made safe a "potentially viable explosive device" in southwest London.

The device was found in a car in The Haymarket shortly before 2am this morning.

Police were called to the scene after an ambulance arrived at the Tiger Tiger nightclub in Piccadilly and saw smoke coming from a metallic green Mercedes, outside the American Express foreign exchange.

The car contained 60 litres of petrol, gas cylinders and nails. A controlled explosion was carried out on the car.

Eyewitnesses had reported seeing the car driving erratically, before crashing into bins outside a nightclub. The driver then fled the scene.

The Haymarket is in the heart of London's theatreland and is close to the busy shopping area of Regent Street.

The MPS Counter Terrorism Command has launched an investigation and CCTV footage of the area where the car was discovered is being examined.

There has been major disruption in the area, as several roads have been closed. Police said that The Haymarket was likely to remain closed for the forseeable future.

Piccadilly underground station also remains closed.

In separate news, it was reported on Friday afternoon that security alerts are now taking place in Park Lane and Oxford Street, due to suspect vehicles.

Extra police patrols are now taking place across London and enhanced security has been put in place at the Houses of Westminster.

The Prime Minister has urged the public to be extra vigilant following the discovery of the device on Friday morning. Mr Brown said that Britain faces a "serious and continuous" threat from terrorism.


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

09 October 2013
27 Arrests Following Fake Car Insurance Investigation
Twenty-seven people have been arrested in dawn raids across the country by detectives investigating the sale of fake car insurance policies, a practice commonly known as 'ghost broking'.
15 April 2011
Arrests Follow Edmonton Murder
Police investigating the murder of 15-year old Negus McLean in Edmonton have today made a further two arrests. A 14-year old boy, and a 16-year old boy, have been arrested on suspicion of murder and remain in police custody. Police were called at 7.25pm on Sunday 10 April to reports of a stabbing in Westminster Road, north London.
07 April 2010
East London Murder Appeal
Detectives have appealed for information about the murder of a woman in Manor Park. Aliza Ahmed Mirza, 18, a student from Ilford, died on Saturday 3 April. Police had been called to reports of a collapsed female. It is believed she was stabbed while in the Forest View Road area. Miss Mirza was taken to hospital but later pronounced dead.
13 February 2009
Father Appeals Over Paralysed Son's Shooting
The father of a teenager paralysed in a shooting incident has joined investigating officers to urge witnesses to come forward. Speaking from his son's hospital bedside Paul Smith said he knew people had information about those who shot and injured Raphael Smith, but couldn't understand why they had not spoken to police.
06 May 2008
Police Hunt Following Teen Murder
Police are appealing for information following a murder in Southwark. Teenager Lyle Tulloch, from Peckham was stabbed at Newall House in Harper Road on Saturday. Lyle, 15, was confirmed dead at the scene despite efforts from emergency services. A post mortem gave the cause of death as stab wounds and haemorrhaging.