Human Remains Found At Hotel Fire Site

Police and fire investigation teams searching the debris of a Cornish hotel destroyed by fire have found human remains.

The blaze tore through the Penhallow Hotel in Newquay just after midnight on Saturday.

A 43-year-old man died in the blaze. It is believed that the man, who has not yet been named, died after jumping from the second or third floor of the hotel when the fire broke out.

More than 80 people were safely evacuated from the building. Four people were taken to hospital following the fire. Three are in a stable condition, but one's person condition is described as stable but critical. Two people, believed to be aged in their 70s and 80s, are still missing and police believe that both of them died in the fire.

The fire is being treated as a "major crime", police have revealed.

Scaffolding with screens have been erected around the shell of the hotel in order for specialist teams to search for the missing persons and clues to the cause of the fire.

The search of the rubble is due to take several days.

The Fire Brigades Union has claimed that the cuts to the service had meant that there were not enough firefighters available to crew a second pump to tackle the fire.

It also emerged after the blaze that an aerial platform had to be brought from Plymouth - 50 miles away - to help tackle the fire.


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

22 August 2007
Police Appeal For Eyewitnesses To Newquay Hotel Fire
Police have appealed for any eyewitnesses to the fire in the Penhallow Hotel in Newquay to come forward, as they might have vital evidence that could aid their investigation into the blaze. An inquest into the death of a man who fell from a window of the burning Cornish hotel is due to commence in Truro. Two other people are missing, believed dead.
08 May 2009
Heroic Tyne Firemen Honoured
Two Tyne and Wear firefighters are to be recognised for their bravery at a special ceremony today. Andrew Nelson and Allan Richardson will be presented with the Chief Fire Officer's Commendations for brave and meritorious conduct after saving a man's life. The men took part in a dramatic rescue in the early hours of 4 February.
31 August 2006
Firefighters launch four-day strike
More than 1,000 firefighters across Merseyside have begun a four-day strike in protest over planned job cuts. Another four-day stoppage is scheduled to begin two hours after the first one ends.
03 March 2010
Suspicious Glasgow Car Fires
Detectives in Glasgow's East End are investigating a spate of vehicle fire attacks in the city yesterday. Shortly after 3.30am police were called to a report of a vehicle fire in Ashvale Crescent, Glasgow. Upon arrival police were advised by Strathclyde Fire Service that four vehicles had been damaged by fire.
19 November 2008
Chief Fire Officer Resigns Over Child Porn Arrest
A top fire officer for the West Midlands Fire Service has resigned after he was arrested on suspicion of making indecent images of children. West Midlands Police arrested Frank Sheehan, 55, yesterday at his home in Sutton Coldfield.