Inquest Into Rhys Shooting Set To Resume

The inquest into the death of schoolboy Rhys Jones is set to resume.

Rhys, 11, was shot dead in Liverpool on 22 August last year.

Coroner Andre Rebello is expected to order a Section 16 adjournment of the inquest hearing.

It is understood this will allow Rhys's death to be finally registered and the case be referred to Liverpool Crown Court.

A 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was charged with Rhys's murder earlier this month.

The teenager has been remanded until May 23 pending committal to the Crown Court.

Rhys was shot in the Fir Tree pub car park as he played football with his friends.

Police had originally interviewed two teenage boys aged 18 and 14, both from the Croxteth area on 23 August.

Six others will appear before magistrates on 23 May charged with assisting an offender in connection with the murder of Rhys.

Three of the defendants are from Liverpool, Gary Kays, 25, Melvin Coy, 24 and James Yates, 20. Two youths aged 17 and 16, cannot be named.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said at the time that the murder was a "heinous crime" which had "shocked the nation".

Further reading:

Two Arrested Over Schoolboy's Murder


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

27 September 2007
Police Receive New Leads In Rhys Murder Inquiry
Police investigating the murder of Merseyside schoolboy Rhys Jones have said that they received a good response from an appeal on BBC One's Crimewatch show on Wednesday night. More than 60 calls have been made to the programme following last night's appeal, including 12 calls, which named the same person as a suspect.
30 August 2007
Teenager Bailed Over Rhys Murder
A 15-year-old boy arrested in connection with the murder of Merseyside schoolboy Rhys Jones has been released on police bail. The teenager was the eleventh person to be arrested in connection with the eleven-year-old's murder. Ten people had previously been arrested in connection with Rhys' murder.
29 August 2005
Countess of Wessex’s mother dies
Mary Rhys-Jones, the mother of the Countess of Wessex, has died, Buckingham Palace has confirmed. In a statement, the Palace said that Mrs Rhys-Jones, 71, had passed away in hospital on Sunday, after suffering a short illness.
26 September 2007
Rhys' Mother To Make Fresh Appeal
The mother of murdered Merseyside schoolboy Rhys Jones is to make a fresh appeal for information about his killer on BBC One's Crimewatch show tonight. Rhys, who would have turned 12 on Thursday, was shot dead by a hooded teenager on a BMX bike as he walked home from football practice in Croxteth in Liverpool on August 22.
06 September 2007
Funeral Held For Rhys
The funeral of murdered Merseyside schoolboy Rhys Jones has taken place in Liverpool. The funeral procession for the 11-year-old travelled from his family's home in Croxteth, past Goodison Park - home of his favourite football, club, Everton - before arriving at the city's Anglican Cathedral at 2pm.