Brothers Jailed For 'Sickening' Murder Over Necklace

A brutal killing which followed a drug and alcohol-fuelled night out for three friends has been recalled in court.

A row broke out and one man in the group accused another of stealing his gold necklace and things escalated from there to end in a shocking murder.

This week, two brothers have been sentenced to life imprisonment for the "sickening" murder of the 'friend' who they had falsely accused of stealing the necklace.

Carl Barry Wheal, 36 of Lensbury Way, Abbey Wood and his brother Gary Lee Wheal, 28 of Timothy House, Kale Road, Thamesmead were found guilty on 15 August of the murder of Mark Evans.

The judge today ordered that they should serve a minimum of 15 years before being considered for parole.

Homicide and Serious Crime Command, based at Lewisham conducted the investigation which led to the convictions.

Mr Evans, 44, was found by police on 11 October outside Timothy House in Kale Rd, Thamesmead, suffering with stab wounds.
News Image
He was taken to Royal London Hospital where he was pronounced dead in the early hours of the next day.

A post mortem examination showed he died as a result of multiple stab wounds.

The court heard that all three men had been together that evening and had been drinking alcohol and taking drugs with others. A row broke out and one man accused Mr Evans of stealing his gold necklace.

Mr Evans managed to leave the premises but the Wheal brothers followed him and attacked him with a knife.

It later emerged that the man had not been wearing the necklace and it was at his home.

DI Mark Dunne said: "The level of violence used against the victim is hard to believe. They stabbed him over and over again, even after he was evidently not in a state to be able to get up from the floor.

"It was a sickening attack on a defenceless man, fuelled by excessive use of alcohol and drugs.

"Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Mark Evans who have heard the sickening details of this case. They will be reassured to know these two men will be safely locked away for a long time."


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

30 April 2012
Double Murder Suspect Arrested
Following the arrest on Sunday morning of double murder suspect James Allen police have appealed for people to check on any friends and relatives who could have come into contact him. Detectives made the appeal after 36-year-old Allen was arrested early on Sunday after being spotted by an off-duty officer on his way to work in Leeds.
17 August 2005
Suspected London bomber to be returned to UK
A British man wanted for questioning in connection with the failed London bomb attacks on July 21 is to be extradited to the UK within 35 days, an Italian court has ruled. Osman Hussein (27) will appeal the decision to the Italian Supreme court, according to his lawyers.
09 January 2015
PFA Head Apologises For Comparing Ched Evans Case To Hillsborough Disaster
The Head of the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) has apologised to the families affected by the Hillsborough disaster for comparing their campaign to Ched Evans case. He told Sky Sports: "I never intended to cause any offence with what I said about Hillsborough. "If people feel that way about it then I can only apologise.
04 June 2015
Man Charged With Attempted Murder
A man has been charged with attempted murder following an incident in Faversham at the weekend. Kent Police confirmed Lincoln Payne, of no fixed abode, had been charged with robbery, theft and two counts of attempted murder following an incident in Fostall Avenue on Saturday, 30 May.
28 November 2014
Surrey Murder Suspect Arrested
Police have arrested 38-year-old Viktoras Bruzas on suspicion of murdering a couple in Surrey. The bodies of Patrick and Gillian Kettyle were found at their home in Fetcham in the early hours of Thursday morning. Police had issued an appeal for help in tracing Mr Bruzas in connection with the murders, and had urged the public not to approach him.