02/12/2008

Man Arrested Over Drive-By Death

Police in Croydon have arrested an 18-year-old youth in connection with a fatal drive-by shooting in south London, it has emerged.

Twenty-year-old Ricardo Cox, from Croydon, died on Mitcham Road in the area, on 26 November.

He had been shot twice in the drive-by shooting last Wednesday at 9.20pm in West Croydon.

Mr Cox was rushed to St George's Hospital and pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

A post mortem examination gave the cause of death as a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Police said the 20-year-old had been walking with another man when a car pulled up alongside and fired several shots.

Officers also said they believed the shots were fired from a dark-coloured car.

The arrested 18-year-old is being held at a south London police station.

(JM)

Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

27 October 2005
London bombings ‘suspect’ charged
A man arrested last weekend in connection with the July 7 London bombings has been charged with wasting police time. Imran Patel, 27, from Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, was arrested last Saturday, on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism. The arrest followed a tip-off from the ‘News of the World’.
01 August 2013
Teenager Arrested Over Rape Of 12-Year-Old Girl
A 17-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with the rape of 12-year-old girl in east London. Three males lead the girl to a "secluded" end of a street in Walthamstow at around 00:15 on Saturday before two of them attacked her, held her down and raped her.
12 November 2014
Release Of Police Killer Described As 'Sickening'
The release of a man convicted of killing three unarmed police officers in 1966 has been described as "sickening". Harry Roberts, now aged 78, has been released from prison after serving 48 years for 1966 murders of three unarmed police officers in Shepherd's Bush in west London.
29 August 2014
Major Police Hunt Launched After Boy Taken From Hospital
A major police hunt has begun after a five-year-old boy with a brain tumour, was taken by his family without consent from Southampton General Hospital. Police said that Ashya King was taken from the hospital by Brett King, 51, and Naghemeh King, 45, on Thursday. It is thought he may have been taken to France.
07 May 2014
'Skull Cracker' In Custody In London
Kent Police, in partnership with officers from the Metropolitan Police Service, have arrested two men in East London on suspicion of conspiracy to commit armed robbery. On 3 May, Kent Police began a search for Michael Wheatley, 55, who had failed to return to HMP Standford Hill after being released on temporary licence.