Man Jailed For Attempted Murder Of Pc

A south London man has been jailed for 25 years for tying to shoot a policeman.

Michael Mitchell, 32, of Babington Road, Streatham, was convicted of attempting to murder Pc Shaun Callow, possession of a firearm and possession of drugs with intent to supply.

A second man, Turhan Mah-Wing, 21, of Landsdowne Way, Clapham, south London, was sentenced to six years and nine months in prison for possession of a firearm with intent to danger life and dangerous driving.

Following an investigation by officers from a Trident shootings team, the pair were found guilty at the Inner London Crown Court on Tuesday 24 March.

Mitchell and Mah-Wing were arrested on August 15, last year, after they failedto shoot their vehicle for police in the Tulse Hill area of south London.

During a subsequent foot chase through a residential area, Mitchell removed a handgun from his waistband and fired at Pc Callow who was only five metres away.

Sentencing at Inner London Crown Court today, Judge Chapple commended Pc Callow for his bravery and professionalism.

Detective Sergeant Simon Mitchell, from Trident, said: "We welcome today's sentencing which reflects the seriousness of these crimes. This investigation arose from an incident during which patrolling officers encouraged armed and dangerous criminals.

"The officers reacted to the clear and imminent danger in a calm, brave and professional manner and I would like to add my praise for their actions."

He concluded: "Londoners will be both proud of their actions and should be reassured that a firearm has been removed from the Capital."


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

02 June 2006
Police shoot man during anti-terror raid
Police have shot a man during an anti-terrorism raid in east London. The 20-year-old man was shot during the raid at a property in Forestgate in the early hours of Friday morning. He was taken to the Royal London hospital, but his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening. He was later arrested in hospital.
08 December 2006
Third man arrested in constable killing case
Police investigating the murder of special constable Nisha Patel-Nasri have arrested a third man in connection with their inquiries. A 35-year-old east London man has been taken into custody for questioing. Two men were arrested in connection with the murder of Mrs Patel-Nasri earlier this week.
28 January 2011
Seven Charged Following Student Protests
Detectives from Operation Malone have charged seven people in connection with the incidents of disorder seen across central London in November and December of last year. Following a decision by the Crown Prosecution Service, the males were charged with a range of offences, including violent disorder and criminal damage.
18 October 2013
PC Ian Dibell Posthumously Wins Bravery Award
A national police bravery award has been posthumously awarded to PC Ian Dibell (41), who was killed when he tackled a gunman in the street near his home. Mr Dibell died while trying to disarm Peter Reeve, who had opened fire on a couple in Clacton, Essex, in July last year.
21 April 2015
Police Seize Weapon, Drugs And Money In Vehicle Stop
Police have seized a weapon, drugs and large amount of cash during two vehicle stops in Greenford, north west London. The Metropolitan police said armed officers stopped a VW Passat on Ruislip Road, near Ravenor Park, and a Ford Galaxy on the M4 junction with the Windmill Road, at about 18:30 on Sunday 19 April.