Police Apology Over Paedophile Attack

A Welsh family who say they reacted "within seconds" of a paedophile taking their child - by making 999 calls and giving the police his name and a description of his car - have received an apology over the way the emergency was dealt with.

The three-year-old child was taken from her home by Craig Sweeney, 24, who was on early release for another attack after which the child's family said a series of errors by South Wales Police meant Sweeney was only caught several hours later - by another police force.

South Wales Police admitted: "We did not do everything we could have done."

Sweeney - who was known to the family - abducted the child from her home after she had returned home from a shopping trip and while her mother made a telephone call.

He drove her to a Newport flat where he was living after being released early from a three-year sentence for indecently assaulting another girl - aged six.

The family of the girl said Sweeney had not been recalled to prison despite being accused of violence towards another man and of inappropriate touching of a child.
News Image
Sweeney was only arrested three hours later when Wiltshire Police traffic officers saw a car with no lights on drive through red lights.

By this time, he had abused the girl in his flat and twice more in his car.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission later described Sweeney's crime as "monstrous," saying, had there been prompt and appropriate action by South Wales Police, part of the child's ordeal may have been prevented.

The family said South Wales Police had "finally accepted responsibility for their errors" and agreed to "substantial" compensation for the girl without "having to go through a traumatic civil trial".

The girl's father said: "We are pleased that South Wales Police have recognised that they failed our daughter on the night of 2 January 2006 and that she should be compensated for that failure.

"Had it not been for the officers of Wiltshire Police, our daughter would probably not be alive today.

"South Wales Police should have backed down as soon as we started the claim so that we did not have to go through the court process.

"It is very difficult to forgive given the callous way in which we as a family were treated but we owe it to our daughter to move on. She is a wonderful little girl with so much ahead of her," the dad said.


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

12 November 2014
Release Of Police Killer Described As 'Sickening'
The release of a man convicted of killing three unarmed police officers in 1966 has been described as "sickening". Harry Roberts, now aged 78, has been released from prison after serving 48 years for 1966 murders of three unarmed police officers in Shepherd's Bush in west London.
29 August 2014
Major Police Hunt Launched After Boy Taken From Hospital
A major police hunt has begun after a five-year-old boy with a brain tumour, was taken by his family without consent from Southampton General Hospital. Police said that Ashya King was taken from the hospital by Brett King, 51, and Naghemeh King, 45, on Thursday. It is thought he may have been taken to France.
07 May 2014
'Skull Cracker' In Custody In London
Kent Police, in partnership with officers from the Metropolitan Police Service, have arrested two men in East London on suspicion of conspiracy to commit armed robbery. On 3 May, Kent Police began a search for Michael Wheatley, 55, who had failed to return to HMP Standford Hill after being released on temporary licence.
11 June 2013
Riot Police Deployed As G8 Protesters Occupy Former Police Station
Some 100 riot police have been deployed in central London as protestors take to the streets to demonstrate ahead on the G8 summit being held in Northern Ireland next week. Officers were sent to Soho, where protesters are thought to have occupied a former police station on Beak Street.
07 February 2012
Great Expectations Of The MPU
Today is the 200th anniversary of the birth of renowned English novelist Charles Dickens (7 February 1812 - 9 June 1870), widely considered the greatest of the Victorian period. London as Dickens knew it, reached his pages, not from his imagination, but from his observations.