|22 November 2010|
MLA Welcomes Coleraine Drugs Bust
|The scourge of illegal drugs being sold along the popular north coast has been highlighted by a Stormont Assembly member.
East Londonderry MLA David McClarty has praised the police for their latest seizure of illegal drugs in the Coleraine area.
The Ulster Unionist representative (pictured) said: "I would like to congratulate the Police in Coleraine on their actions in seizing herbal cannabis following searches of two properties in the Greenmount and Kylemore Road areas of the town on Friday night, as a result of which four people are facing drugs charges."
He said this is the latest in a line of recent successful operations by the police in the Coleraine, Portstewart and Portrush area which have successfully targeted the supply of illegal drugs.
As a result, three men and a woman are expected to appear before North Antrim Magistrates' Court this morning following the weekend drugs seizures.
The charges relate to planned searches in The Heights area by police from the Crime Team in Coleraine.
Two men aged in their 20s have been charged with a number of drugs-related offences including supplying a class 'B' drug.
A woman aged in her 20s has been charged with possession and permitting her premises to be used for the use of a class 'B' drug.
A man aged in his 30s has also been charged with a number of drugs related offences including supplying a class 'B' drug.
Commenting the MLA said: "I know that the entire community will join me in congratulating the police on their proactive approach.
"Illegal drugs are a blight on society. They destroy lives and break-up families. We must all give every assistance to the Police as they seek to cut off the supply of illegal drugs and at the same time work to educate our young people, so that we can remove the demand."
The news comes just weeks after an earlier £500,000 drugs seizure in Portstewart, when on October 15, officers from the PSNI's Crime Team seized 90,000 Ecstasy tablets in a haul described as the biggest seizure in Northern Ireland in the last three years.
Since then four people have been charged in connection with the find with three of the accused - who appeared before the local court via video link from Maghaberry Prison - remanded in custody, to appear before the court again on December 6.
|Submit a news item|
|News Archive For Nov 2010|