16/01/2002

Red Hand Defenders to disband following UFF order

The Red Hand Defenders is set to disband as a result of a direct order from the Ulster Defence Association leadership.

In a statement on Tuesday January 15, the UDA/Ulster Freedom Fighters said it “unreservedly” condemned the death threats issued by the Red Hand Defenders, against Catholic schoolteachers and postal workers last weekend and that it was ordering the Red Hand Defenders to stand down within 14 days.

In response to this order, a statement was issued to the BBC on Wednesday morning under the Red Hand Defenders name, detailing the order to its members. It said: “From midnight tonight [Wednesday] the Red Hand Defenders will stand down as the UFF ordered.”

However, the Red Hand Defenders is widely acknowledged as being a cover name used by elements of the UDA.

Initially the Red Hand Defenders claimed responsibility for the murder of 20-year-old postman Danny McColgan last Saturday morning. However, the East Antrim UDA brigade later admitted that it was responsible for his murder.

SDLP assembly member for west Belfast Alex Attwood said he would be treating the Red Hand Defenders statement with caution. He said: “They are trying to cover their tracks and distance themselves from what is happening because everybody knows the UFF, the UDA, the Red Hand Defenders are the one and the same group of people whatever name they call themselves. Given that it is the same people, this does not change anything and people will treat their claims with caution.”

Meanwhile postmen and women have voted to return to work, starting from midnight on Wednesday. The move to return was taken at a lunchtime meeting between staff and union representatives who recommended they go back to work. (AMcE)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

05 December 2018
Other News In Brief
Royal Victoria Hospital To Open Emergency Care Unit Due To Demand Health officials are planning an "emergency care village" for Belfast to avoid a Christmas crisis, it has emerged. The temporary facility will operate from the second floor of the Royal Victoria Hospital to cater for an anticipated spike in emergencies over the busy winter season.
30 November 2018
Two Men Appear In Court Charged With L'Derry Murder
Two men have appeared at L'Derry Magistrates' Court charged with the murder of a 52-year-old man. Edward Meenan's body was discovered in an alleyway just off Creggan Street in the city at around 2.45am on Sunday 25 November. He had sustained significant injuries to his head and body. The investigation into his death has led to a number of arrests.
28 November 2018
84 New HIV Cases Diagnosed In NI Last Year
Over 80 new cases of HIV were diagnosed in Northern Ireland last year, according to a new report by the Public Health Agency (PHA). A total of 1,073 people in the region are now living with the condition. The HIV surveillance in Northern Ireland 2018 study shows that 84 of these cases were diagnosed in 2017.
31 July 2001
Youth festival targeted in North Belfast pipe bombing
Two pipe bombs have been thrown at a crowd of young people attending a community festival in North Belfast. The attack, carried out late on Monday 30 July, came as the Golden Thread theatre on the Crumlin Road was packed with people attending a festival play.
27 July 2007
Parades restricted in Downpatrick
A loyalist parade has been banned from entering the predominantly nationalist town of Downpatrick in County Down. The proposed march on 6th August 2007 by the Red Hand Defenders has had conditions imposed by the Parades Commission this morning.
07 June 2007
Cummings murder inquest begins
An inquest at Belfast Coroners Court into the shooting dead of a 19-year-old Catholic man in Antrim in July 2001 has heard that rival loyalist paramilitaries may have been involved. Ciaran Cummings, 19, was shot twice with a sawn off shotgun as he waited for a lift at the Greystone Road roundabout.
20 May 2003
Loyalist paramilitary group claim bomb attack
Loyalist paramilitary group, the Red Hand Defenders have admitted planting a bomb outside the offices of Republican Sinn Fein in west Belfast yesterday. The device was found by a member of staff as they opened the premises on the Falls Road yesterday morning.
22 July 2002
Loyalist paramilitary group claim murder of Catholic
The Red Hand Defenders have claimed that they murdered a Catholic man in north Belfast on Sunday night. The man, who has been named as 19-year-old Gerard Lawlor, was shot as he walked alone on Flora Road in the north of the city.
12 December 2001
Stobie murder claimed by Red Hand Defenders
Former loyalist police agent William Stobie, who had been recently been acquitted of charges brought against him over the murder of solicitor Pat Finucane, has been shot dead in north Belfast. The Red Hand Defenders, a cover name which has been used in the past for the UDA and UFF, has claimed responsibility for his murder.
04 December 2001
Drugs link not discounted in north Belfast murder
The Red Hand Defenders have claimed that they were behind the shooting of man in north Belfast on Monday evening. The 34-year-old man, named as Francis Mulholland, was attacked as he sat in a car on the Upper Crumlin Road at around 8pm on Monday December 3.
03 December 2001
Man questioned in relation to Rosemary Nelson’s murder
Officers investigating the murder of Lurgan solicitor Rosemary Nelson have arrested a man in County Armagh. The 41-year-old man was taken from his home in Portadown for questioning about serious terrorist offences on Monday December 3. Rosemary Nelson, a Catholic mother-of-three, died in a booby-trap car bomb near her home on 15 March 1999.
06 September 2001
Children greeted with whistles on fourth day of school siege
The fourth day of the loyalist siege of Holy Cross Girl’s Primary School has passed off relatively peacefully.
29 August 2001
Nationalists seek a review of the loyalist ceasefire
Northern Ireland Secretary of State Dr John Reid is facing renewed calls to review the status of the loyalist ceasefire.
03 August 2001
Loyalist group claim responsibility for stab attack on sexton
It has been revealed that loyalist paramilitary group the Red Hand Defenders are behind an attack on a Carnmoney sexton only hours before murdered teenager Gavin Brett was laid to rest at the church.
30 July 2001
Protestant youth gunned down by loyalists
Loyalist paramilitary group the Red Hand Defenders has claimed responsibility for the murder of a Protestant teenager outside a GAA club in Glengormley. Gavin Brett was standing with a group of his friends outside St Enda’s GAA Club on the Hightown Road on Sunday 29 July, when a gunman opened fire on the youths at around 11.