19/12/2001

Court of Appeal supports Saville inquiry soldiers

The Court of Appeal has ruled that the former British soldiers will not have to give evidence to the Bloody Sunday Inquiry in Northern Ireland.

The decision handed down on Wednesday means that the Saville Inquiry ruling that called on former British soldiers to give evidence in Londonderry has been overturned.

The head of the inquiry tribunal, Lord Saville, said that he would now be carefully considering the decision from the Court of Appeal in London.

Representatives of the former British soldiers had argued that they would be at risk of terrorist attack if they were forced to travel to Derry to give their evidence to the Bloody Sunday tribunal.

Lawyers acting for the armed forces witnesses told the Court of Appeal in London that there was a higher risk of terrorist reprisals in the province than on the British mainland. (SP)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

07 August 2019
Fresh Appeal Issued In Co Antrim Burglary Probe
Police have appealed to the public for help identifying a man who they believe may be able to assist an investigation into a burglary in County Antrim. A licensed premises on the Carnlough Road in Broughshane was targeted on Thursday 17 January.
16 August 2019
Police Treat L'Derry Bonfire As 'Hate Incident'
A bonfire that displayed flags relating to a soldier facing prosecution for Bloody Sunday murders is being treated as a hate incident. Parachute Regiment was placed on the pyre before it was set alight in the Bogside area of L'Derry on Thursday evening, 15 August. Union flags were also set alight as thousands watched on.
12 August 2019
Appeal As Co Down Business Burgled
Police have appealed for public assistance following a commercial burglary and vehicle theft in County Down. A petrol station in Carryduff was targeted in the early hours of this morning, Monday 12 August. A number of cash was taken by suspects who arrived and left in a stolen vehicle, a white Hyundai Tucson.
08 August 2019
Lurgan Searches In Craigavon Dissident Bomb Probe
Police have carried out a number of searches in Lurgan following an attempt to murder serving officers in Craigavon last month. Dissident republicans left a booby-trap device in the Tullygally area of the town on the evening of Friday 26 July. The viable device was staged to resemble a fired mortar and designed to explode if touched.
08 August 2019
Appeal For Help Tracing Lisburn Man
The family of a 60-year-old man from Lisburn are becoming increasingly concerned for his safety after he went missing on Wednesday. Albert Arnott was last seen at around 5pm in the Shaw's Bridge area. He was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and a body warmer and drives a silver Seat Alhambra.