User Guide Recalls Gas Tragedy

A double tragedy in Co Londonderry last summer has been recalled with the launch of a new guide to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

NI's Chief Medical Officer Dr Michael McBride has commended the guide, Carbon Monoxide: Are You at Risk? to both domestic users and the utilities sector of the construction industry.

It was launched last week, several months after two Newtownabbey teenagers were found dead in a holiday flat with Carbon Monoxide immediately suspected after the teenagers were found and Ambulance crews called to the holiday apartment in Castlerock.

Health and safety officials centred their probe on checking gas appliances inside the holiday apartment at Tunnel Brae Court to trace a leak.

Launching the new guide, Dr McBride said: "Carbon monoxide poisoning causes a number of deaths and hospital admissions each year in Northern Ireland.

"The recent tragedy in Castlerock is a stark reminder that carbon monoxide can be lethal.

"It is vital that we are all vigilant to ensure that we are protected from its dangers. That is why the Department of Health has produced a new guide, which is available on Nidirect.
News Image
"Of course prevention is always better than cure, and the guide contains important information about measures that can be taken to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning from occurring."

Dr McBride continued: "Carbon monoxide poisoning is often called the silent killer because you cannot see or smell the gas.

"It is important that the public is aware of the symptoms, because it can easily be confused with other common conditions. The guide provides clear, simple information on how to spot the warning signs," he said, noting that the guide will complement other measures that are currently being taken in Northern Ireland to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning; help people to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, and help health professionals and the public to spot the warning signs.

See: Castlerock Gas Tragedy Teens Named

See: Plumber Prosecuted For Endangering Lives

See: www.nidirect.gov.uk/carbonmonoxide


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

10 December 2019
Ballycastle Community Shocked By Tragic Death
The Co Antrim community of Ballycastle has been left in shock after the death of a swimmer on Monday morning. Deirdre McShane, a midwife from the area, has been named locally as the woman who lost her life when a group of swimmers got into difficulty off Ballycastle beach. Another woman was hospitalised after she was pulled from the water.
31 October 2012
Carbon Monoxide Alarms Now A Legal Requirement
Carbon monoxide alarms are now a legal requirement for all new homes in Northern Ireland. The law follows the deaths of two teenagers from carbon monoxide poising at a holiday home in County L’Derry in August 2010. 18-year-old Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson died in an apartment near Coleraine.
13 December 2010
Soccer World Supports Boiler Service Call
The soccer world has turned out to help kick-off warnings of a 'silent killer' message to NI's sports community and has backed the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland's (HSENI) recently launched campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. The hard-hitting campaign 'Watch Out.
08 June 2015
Police Continue To Investigate Ballycastle Deaths
Police have ruled out carbon monoxide poisoning after a couple were found dead at a property in Ballycastle on Thursday. Kenneth Boughey, 68, and Rita Boughey, 79, were discovered at their home in the Abbey area at approximately 8.30pm. Chief Inspector Mark McClarence from the PSNI said the investigation is "continuing".
05 June 2015
Ballycastle Deaths Being Treated As 'Unexplained'
The bodies of a man and a woman discovered in a house in Ballycastle, County Antrim, are being treated as "unexplained". Post mortem examinations are to be carried out on the bodies of Kenneth Boughey, 68, and Rita Boughey, 70. The couple were found dead in the Abbey area after 9pm on Thursday.