13/12/2010

Soccer World Supports Boiler Service Call

The soccer world has turned out to help kick-off warnings of a 'silent killer' message to NI's sports community and has backed the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland's (HSENI) recently launched campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The hard-hitting campaign 'Watch Out. Carbon Monoxide Kills' is being supported by Paul Leeman, Glentoran Captain and Geoff Wilson, Head of Marketing and Communications at the Irish Football Association.

The initiative has also been backed by the families of Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson, who tragically died from carbon monoxide poisoning in Castlerock, in August.

"In Northern Ireland over the past 10 years, 62 people have died due to carbon monoxide poisoning arising from the use of a range of fuels including oil, gas, coal and other solid fuels," Stephanie Lowry, Deputy Chairman of HSENI explained.

"This new campaign drives home the importance of having all fossil fuel boilers and appliances properly installed and serviced annually, to ensure that carbon monoxide is not produced. I would also strongly urge householders to install an audible carbon monoxide alarm in their home as an added precaution.
News Image
"With the winter months upon us, and more people switching on their heating appliances, it is extremely important that homeowners are not complacent. By acting now and taking simple precautions lives can be saved," she said.

Geoff Wilson reinforced the message on behalf of the Irish FA: "Given the recent tragedies that have hit our local headlines recently, it is crucial that people in Northern Ireland are aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and recognise how important it is to ensure that all boiler and appliances are regularly serviced and fully operational.

"It's great that the Irish FA and Glentoran captain Paul Leeman can help to communicate the HSENI's safety message to football fans and their families throughout the province."

Stephanie Lowry continued: "The campaign represents one of the largest public awareness initiatives we have ever undertaken in Northern Ireland.

"The message is clear and simple - having boilers and appliances serviced annually can protect you and your loved ones from carbon monoxide. We would like to thank the Irish FA for their support in raising awareness of the campaign."

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas which is impossible to see, taste or smell and anyone who uses an appliance that burns a fossil fuel including gas, oil and coal as well peat and wood, is potentially at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning.

(BMcC/GK)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

31 October 2012
Carbon Monoxide Alarms Now A Legal Requirement
Carbon monoxide alarms are now a legal requirement for all new homes in Northern Ireland. The law follows the deaths of two teenagers from carbon monoxide poising at a holiday home in County L’Derry in August 2010. 18-year-old Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson died in an apartment near Coleraine.
08 January 2013
Tyrone Woman In Carbon Monoxide Scare
A County Tyrone woman in her 60s is recovering from a case of carbon monoxide poising at her home in Strabane. The woman was found by her daughter unconscious inside her home at St John’s Place on Saturday evening. Fire crews treated her with oxygen.
18 October 2010
User Guide Recalls Gas Tragedy
A double tragedy in Co Londonderry last summer has been recalled with the launch of a new guide to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. NI's Chief Medical Officer Dr Michael McBride has commended the guide, Carbon Monoxide: Are You at Risk? to both domestic users and the utilities sector of the construction industry.
12 March 2020
Budget: Extra £210m For NI Public Services
Business and political leaders have been giving their reactions to the Budget, with an extra £210 million allocated for public services in Northern Ireland. The Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, yesterday pledged a £12 billion package of measures aimed at tackling the spread of coronavirus across the UK.
05 September 2011
Tragic Fumes' Deaths Recalled By HSENI
The tragic deaths of two Co Antrim students when a faulty gas flue led to their suffocation was recalled today with NI's Health & Safety Agency (HSENI) published its latest annual report. Published on Monday, it continues to demonstrate the official body's commitment to improving health and safety standards in workplaces across Northern Ireland.