30/11/2012

Sex Offender Wins Facebook Case

A convicted sex offender has won a court case to have a Northern Ireland paedophile watch group’s Facebook page removed.

'Keeping our kids safe from predators' currently has just under 5,000 'likes' on Facebook, but will now be removed within 72 hours after the plaintiff won his High Court Case.

Ruling, Mr Justice McCloskey said: "Society has dealt with the plaintiff in accordance with the rule of law.

"He has been punished by incarceration and he is subject to substantial daily restrictions on his lifestyle."

The man has served a six year jail sentence for child sex offences committed more than two decades ago, including indecent assault, gross indecency with a child and inciting a child to commit an act of gross indecency.

He is known only as XY.
News Image
The man discovered his photograph and threatening comments on the page and claimed harassment, misuse of private information and a breach of his right to privacy.

His lawyers expressed the man’s fears of being attacked as a result of the posting. It was seen as an attempt to vilify and stir up hatred against him.

Members of the group have been posting comments expressing their anger at the decision.

One person said: "Just seen the news. Disgusted. Protect the Perverts! The law is messed up!"

Another commented: "i hope u have all the pictures and infos backed up and a back up profile created. obviously the judge favours and has sympathy towards pedos and sex offenders and has none to the rights of the victims or the possible victims of the future (sic)."

One comment read: "Put him down like an animal."

The court heard how the plaintiff is suffering from ill health, including regular dialysis treatment.

Facebook had already removed a photo and comments made about the man, but his legal team insisted the page should be removed completely.

(IT/GK)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

31 May 2019
Omagh Man Jailed For Historic Sex Offences
Police have welcomed the recent sentencing of a man who was found guilty of 22 historic sex offences. A judge at Dungannon Crown Court handed the 53-year-old from Omagh a sentence of five years imprisonment and a further two years on probation on Tuesday 28 May.
05 June 2018
NI Man Michael Dunlop Wins Isle Of Man TT
Northern Ireland man Michael Dunlop has won the Isle of Man TT. The Ballymoney man now has 17 career wins and he broke his own lap record and clocked up to 129.197 on his motorbike. He also scooped top spot in Saturday's Superbike race. Scottish rider Adam Lyon was killed in an accident during the race.
12 August 2019
Probe As Man Stabbed In Co Antrim
Police have launched an investigation after a man was stabbed in Ballymena on Sunday evening, 11 August. The serious assault happened in the County Antrim town's Moat Bar at around 7pm. No further details on the victim's condition have been released as yet.
09 August 2019
Man Charged With 1994 Murder
A man has been charged with the murder of a postal worker in 1994. The 60-year-old faces a series of charges relating to the death of Francis Damien Kerr, who was shot dead when masked raiders stormed the postal sorting office in Newry, County Down on 10 November 1994. The Provisional IRA was blamed for the attack.
07 August 2019
Aer Lingus Issues Apology As Ashes Lost
Aer Lingus has issued an apology after the ashes belonging to the parents of a man originally from County Antrim went missing. Ballymena man Bob Gimour is reported to have travelled from Australia to Ireland with his family to scatter his parents' remains. When they arrived, however, the bag containing the ashes was not on the plane.